View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 114
01-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
That's exactly how I saw the Great Hall in the game, actually.

Thing is that it will no longer look like Trek if "what is plausible" (which is in the eye of the beholder) becomes the norm, as it will be if you open the possibilities, even if it's just because a large part of the playerbase wants maximum pixel eroticism. Just look at what happened to ESD with all those high-heeled, miniskirt, belly-top wearing go-go girls. Does that look like Starfleet? Do you really want Qo'noS to look alike? Is it wrong that there is at least one faction in the game that somewhat looks like an accurate representation of its culture(s) from the shows?
ESD looks wacky (which doesn't really bother me but not everyone's as good at just ignoring things as me, a talent I was forced to develop after raging at silly things in films) because there is quite a high player:npc ratio, whereas there are very few in comparison on Qo'nos, so even if everyone played a bikini clad female it wouldn't be half as noticeable as ESDs costume antics.

Quote:
For the Orions their current look fits well because that is their culture, and that is what makes them memorable and unique. If you take the clothing away, all we're left with visually would be green-skinned Humans.
It's definitely a big part of Orions but I don't think the uniqueness matters, in game Vulcans sole difference from humans is pointy ears as the "logical" can only be expressed through RP(for players), they'd still be Orions, the clothing would still be theirs, just others would have adopted it, for instance it'd very likely be called "Orion xxx" in the character editor(if it weren't I'd campagin), and I'm thinking most will recognise it as Orion clothing and not a generic Leia bikini.

Quote:
Klingons already have skimpy stuff in canon. It just looks different. Why does every species have to wear the same stuff? This is contradictory to the very same diversity you seem to think you champion.
Every species won't have to wear the same stuff, they can just wear it if they want to, that difference is crucial, admittedly I would be surprised if we didn't see at least 30% females wearing it. More a champion of options but also openness, and more options is inherently more diverse than less. If everyone did flock to the bikini, well I'm that's my efforts for more options sucessful, even with a minor problem on the diversity front.

Quote:
And yes, smooth silks do go against Klingon culture, especially considering that they make their wearer look like a toy'wI'a. Not everyone in Klingon society is a warrior, but to think that someone would voluntarily don this kind of garment because she likes it is comparable to walking around in a fetish harness in your hometown.
More like walking around in foreign swimwear, to the more "waaaghhh honour" klingons it's still contemptible, but probably regarded as self indultgent to decadent instead of perverted. I feel it's quite believable that there's a few klingons(in proportion to the size of the KDF, there could still be a lot of them in number if not percentage) who diverge from the norm and indulge in foreign things, but by proving themselves to still be honourable warriors despite this, they are tolerated and shown respect for their skill if perhaps not much liked.

Quote:
I just think customization should represent the standard range of clothing for the respective character, not cater to extreme exceptions. Because otherwise the exceptions will become the rule. And this would look bull. Again, see ESD.
Thing is you can't really define the standard range of clothing for the respective character, you can do it for their culture or their species, but a person is not a culture or a species, attempting to pin down characters in such a manner would be almost stereotypical.
A klingon could be one the most honourable and skilled warriors in the empire but in her time not spent pwning feds with a batleth she prances about in Qipaos and Orion clothing, listening to old Vulcan music, the off duty explanation. Alternatively or additonally because she's such a badarse and it's not like klingon gear stops a phaser blast she wears a Qipao/Orion bikini into combat, her superiors might be a bit peeved but there's a war on and other than that she's an exemplary klingon so they leave it be.
Okay so most won't come up with a backstory for why, but most people never even come up with any backstory to a character or at least a visible one.

Quote:
Both, actually. I am of the opinion that every species has the right to retain its unique defining features. Partly because it's what makes them special, partly because that is what makes people play them, and partly because this is simply how it was done in the shows.
Plenty of people still play the canon fed races even if an alien is a better min-max and there are no fancy unique outfits, I like the shows (ofc) but one of my big problems with them was this pigeonholing of alien races, yes it's much easier to get lots of aliens in if you make them simple and not complex but it reduces them to caricatures, that must then be stuck to or the wrath of canon defenders be invoked. Granted with STs races being people with bits stuck on they wouldn't be all the special anymore but it's not like everyone else is.

Quote:
Actually, that line was referring to the player, not the character. They want bikinis because they dislike their own species' range of clothing and because they want to show off more skin, not because their characters have any reason to wear them. The most such players do it come up with some half-cooked excuse for such deviant behavior, naturally without thinking about the consequences this would really have for the character.
"It's hawt!" is likely a big part of the motivation for many who want this, but there's not really a problem with that imo. Now when we come to in world consequences for the character it honestly might not amount to much, the very fact we've got a bunch of species on Qo'nos could show that the klingons former friendship with the federation has mellowed them a bit when it comes to this kind of thing.

Like is it the motions of a ritual that matter to STO Klingons or the intent of a ritual? That someone dresses like their trying to be an honourable warrior or that they actually are one?

And it is after all the NPCs who represent the normal Klingons, our characters are the "special" ones like in most games, we're the Picards, Kirks, Worfs not the one episode appearance captains. We're allowed to be quirky or...strange.

And now I have an urge to make a thread asking for a Qipao to be added to the formal wear set, it kinda sorta looks like one but not enough.