View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 115
01-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockeryangel
It's definitely a big part of Orions but I don't think the uniqueness matters, in game Vulcans sole difference from humans is pointy ears as the "logical" can only be expressed through RP(for players), they'd still be Orions, the clothing would still be theirs, just others would have adopted it, for instance it'd very likely be called "Orion xxx" in the character editor(if it weren't I'd campagin)
It's not the same, actually. Starfleet Vulcans are part of Starfleet, of course they wear the same clothing. Non-Starfleet Vulcans (which we do not have in STO) would actually wear different stuff, as you can see in several ENT, TOS and TNG episodes.

Quote:
[...] and I'm thinking most will recognise it as Orion clothing and not a generic Leia bikini.
Really now? I doubt that.

Quote:
[...] I would be surprised if we didn't see at least 30% females wearing it
More like 60%. Again, see ESD how people dress up their females.

Quote:
If everyone did flock to the bikini, well I'm that's my efforts for more options sucessful, even with a minor problem on the diversity front.
And on the Trek front, for we would loose the atmosphere Qo'noS managed to retain so far. Again: Is it really necessary to copy the whacky look of Starfleet? Can't we have one faction that looks like it did in the shows?

Quote:
More like walking around in foreign swimwear, to the more "waaaghhh honour" klingons it's still contemptible, but probably regarded as self indultgent to decadent instead of perverted.
No. If you dress like a slave then you will be treated like a slave. If you do it voluntarily, something's wrong with your sense of honor. It's as simple as that. Don't you think this would have repercussions on how other Klingons deal with you?

And just having "some" backstory doesn't make it more believable. You just can't justify everything, and sometimes trying to do so is actually more facepalm-worthy than just rolling without any excuse at all.

Quote:
Thing is you can't really define the standard range of clothing for the respective character, you can do it for their culture or their species, but a person is not a culture or a species, attempting to pin down characters in such a manner would be almost stereotypical.
Which I think is necessary. Look, there's only one of two ways here:
A) achieve total freedom in customization
B) preserve the style of the faction and the atmosphere of the game

You can only go one way. They are not compatible. Almost every player doesn't care about making his or her character fit into the setting, instead going by what he or she thinks is cool or sexy based on their respective preference as a 21st century Human. This game is not about 21st century Humans, and if you let people dress however they want you're sacrificing the atmosphere of the show. You're going to loose the "Trek". Might as well play Second Life or whatever.

Quote:
Now when we come to in world consequences for the character it honestly might not amount to much, the very fact we've got a bunch of species on Qo'nos could show that the klingons former friendship with the federation has mellowed them a bit when it comes to this kind of thing.
Maybe you should take a look at STO's faction page.

Quote:
Like is it the motions of a ritual that matter to STO Klingons or the intent of a ritual? That someone dresses like their trying to be an honourable warrior or that they actually are one?
Both, in a way. Everyone expects the motions, the intent on the other hand matters to the ones that believe in tradition and honour.

Quote:
And it is after all the NPCs who represent the normal Klingons, our characters are the "special" ones like in most games, we're the Picards, Kirks, Worfs not the one episode appearance captains. We're allowed to be quirky or...strange.
Heh. I see this kind or justification pop up every single time when such a topic is discussed. And I don't buy it. Sure, I can see why some people absolutely want to play the special snowflake and the Mary Sue that can achieve everything and is so awesome the whole galaxy loves him/her, but in the end this is an MMO, and other player characters need to be taken into consideration as well.

"If everyone is special, nobody is."

I'm quite happy with my - so I believe - interesting and believable characters without the need to make them stand out of the crowd. You can be unique without being a Picard, a Kirk or a Worf. Every person has his own story, his own struggle. You don't need to have the entire galaxy know of it to make it exciting.