View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 117
01-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockeryangel
The Orions are in the KDF though, we can say they're allied and really not in it, but I think it's stretching.
Not really. It's pretty clear in the Path to 2409.

Quote:
Do the Vulcans have unique off duty clothes?
Player character ones? I don't think so. But they do exist for NPCs. If you want to have them as unique off duty costumes, I suppose a thread in the C-Store forum would be appropriate. It'd be justified, anyways.

Quote:
Since for however many months only the Orions have been able to wear it, I'm certain all but new players will, call it Orion in the editor even they will.
Just because something is named a certain way won't change people's perception of it.

Quote:
No you would lose the atmosphere, the greathall still looks Klingons, there's still going to be lots of Klingon NPCs, klingon music.
Yeah sure, just like ESD looks like Starfleet? Oh, wait, it doesn't. Player characters are an integral part of the world, and if you have all of them run around in bikinis then it simply changes how the world looks like.
In any case, yes, I would lose the atmosphere. That said, given that this is a Star Trek game, I am now left to wonder what other atmosphere there could be?

Quote:
Did you watch ENT? The STO female Orions seem to be much more like the ones who tried to take over the Enterprise there, than actual slave girls. Probably some Orion females are actual slaves and not spies/saboteurs, but the issue is left muddied from ENT. Having seen female Orions in STO ordering around male NPCs I'm going with ENTs interpretation of them being true in STO.
You misunderstood. We are not talking about Orions here. We are talking about how -Klingons- (or other species) would be treated if they dress like slaves.

One of my characters is an Orion as well and am using the exact same interpretation of background: http://www.startrekonline.com/charac...s/1181978/view
In fact, I've got her as a player character and my Klingon's BO simultaneously, effectively leading a double life.

Quote:
Now if a Klingon thinks there is something wrong with the character's sense of honour, then they should stop being a coward, say so and accept the consequences, there'll be repercussions alright...for them. See it's not hard to think through this kind of thing if you're at least willing to try.
It's not very "professional" to take the NPCs ignorance as acceptance just because they are not scripted to react based on what a player wears. That's the same kind of flawed logic that supposedly led many WoW players to believe it's perfectly okay to run around in the midst of Stormwind or Darnassus with freshly summoned demons despite this being outlawed.

Quote:
I can't justify absolutely everything there is, but I can justify this, just never to you for no matter what is said you aren't going to change your opinion on it unless a new Trek series was released and we saw a klingon in a bikini(Orion/Earth w/e) or fine silk dress.
Yes. Sorry that I am basing my arguments on what we know about a culture.

Quote:
C) You learn to tolerate and ignore things like most other people manage when they come across something that bugs them? If I can deal with the silly characters made in ****, that terrible "The Core" film, and 3 foot tall aliens here so can you.
D) Start up that old campaign to get choose what other peoples uniforms appear as.
E) Campaign to get "roleplay" instances added that you have to tick a box in options to visit and where everyone at least wears the STO uniforms and Klingon battlegear, might be possible might not.
Since "C" is the same as "A" and "D" and "E" are not going to happen (though I did in fact campaign for "D" just yesterday) I don't see how those are supposed to be options.

Quote:
are they supposed to go by their preference as an imaginative 25th century human?
As roleplayers? Yes, that's the entire idea of "playing a role", no? Of course I can understand that people won't give a s**t when they do not care about the setting anyways, but hey, you started to argue that it would in fact make sense in-universe.

Quote:
Which bit, the bit where the Klingon talks about allies?
The bit where the Klingon clearly contradicts your stance on their view on the Federation, for example.

Quote:
Right and the ones to whom intent matters most, won't really be too bothered by what you wear [...]
What kind of logic is that? Those are the ones who will be pis*ed the most because you clearly do not even have the intent to wear something appropriate.

Quote:
Actually as an MMO pretty much everyone is a Mary Sue
As I said, I take pride in being the exception then, and that my characters actually -fit in-.

Quote:
I actually don't think wearing funny outfits would make a character a Mary Sue
If the normal rules of the setting do not apply for them? Sounds pretty Mary Sue for me.

I see we won't be getting nowhere with this debate, though. Our "perception" of the setting clearly varies too much, and likewise our opinion regarding the atmosphere of the game. I simply believe in unique differences, be it between factions or species, whilst you are apparently okay with everybody being the same. That's a fundamental conflict we won't be able to bridge regardless of how long we continue to argue, so we may as well stop at this point.