View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGreggy
I would suggest that directions to production staff intended to ensure what does appear on screen is accurate and consistent carries sufficient weight to be considered hard canon. This isn't the idle speculation or inaccurate mathematics of the size of the Defiant, this is wardrobe being told "these are the ranks, these are their insignia, now damn well get it right".

Can't get much more canon than that.
There's different levels of canon, hard canon, things seen onscreen in the shows and movies which can be taken as in-Trek fact, and soft canon which is unconfirmed info that should be taken with a grain of salt. Production notes, novels, video games (including STO), and cast & crew interviews are all soft canon, which can be contradictory and self-refuting at times.

The part of the note in question (the Commodore rank) was never established as true on-screen, to the point where there's a debate as to whether the Commodore rank survived until the TNG era.

Without use on-screen, the note is, at best, soft canon, rumor and hypothesis, not hard canon fact.

But don't get me wrong, I want the Commodore rank, I want it to be true, I just won't let my personal desires conflict with my evaluation of the facts of the matter.