View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 65
02-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
Problem is that Cryptic think the bug is in ATI's driver code. And ATI think the bug is in Cryptic's code.
Unfortunately, neither part of the statement is true. First, neither Cryptic nor ATI knows what the source of the bugs in these areas. If they could point us at something, we would fix it.

However, there are multiple problems occurring in Starbase 24 and the other areas which seem crash prone when dynamic lighting is enabled. And some have absolutely nothing to do with dynamic lighting. We've fixed any problems where we have been able to determine a root cause. More fixes are coming, you can see my latest posts in the other thread on this issue:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...namic+lighting

I would like nothing more than to have this set of bugs fixed. We have been working with ATI on this problem. However, the best information we have been able to get them has not produced reliable enough repros to indicate the true source of the problem. So it might something in our game engine, the specific pattern of resource usage we have, or it could be bugs or limitations of their driver software. We just don't know, and need a reliable repro case. I can explain more of what I mean by that.

Anyway, ATI is in the same boat as us. If they don't have a specific enough, reliable repro case, they can't risk making speculative bug fixes in their complicated driver software that would risk who knows what level of serious problems for other customers, or even with our games.

I'm sorry this is taking so long to fix. I've been working on it on and off since STO launch, and I'm sure it's incredibly frustrating for all of you. I'm quite fed up with it as well!

Dave