View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I imagine something like this, while awesome in theory, would fall apart. One thing is just the need for built in voice chat (I highly doubt Cryptic will release a MAJOR addition like this without built in support for it), which the team has already said they don't plan to do anytime soon.

Also, as captain, what would you do? Technically, you just sit there and give orders, which would be a pretty boring job. The helmsman I imagine would do most of the maneuvering on his own. The weapons guy would be pretty bored (just select a target and button mash spacebar) unless there was some kind of mini-game involved (but lets be honest, it would have to be AWESOME to not get boring and repetitive after a while). Sickbay is just waiting for someone to get hurt (ideally no one would). Engineering would probably see the most action because the captain could delegate power distribution and skills to them. Things like "Divert power to shields" or using Emergency Power to Shields would be common, but when you think about it, it would just be sitting there waiting for an order and pressing a button (again, unless there was a truly AWESOME minigame). All in all, I'm pretty sure this would require so much to make it work, it would almost be its own game.

Personally, though, I like the concept (in a perfect world where it was done well). It's just that it would be really hard to make it fun for ANYONE involved.