View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWeber
Excellent summation of the nationalism sparked by the Napoleonic Era. Your comparison to Moscow, where the communist regime always held more to the principles of Russian nationalism than anything resembling Marxist ideology is a wonderful seasoning. (I still view Soviet Communism as simply a new designer opiate for the masses.)

An excellent foundation for an epic plot. Two lines strike me as perfect for this theme. One is the "Descent into Madness" where the emphasis on empire leads to dishonor and insanity. After all, getting what you wished for in your youth is not nearly so frightening as your children getting what you wished for in your youth; Their agenda and experience will use it in ways one may very well regret. Indeed, what mistakes might occur if some leader of this house were to perceive BORG technology as the "Next Stage" in protecting the empire? Frank Herbert's Dune series subtly points out that when you change the evolution of what you are to become something better - the result will replace you and it will no longer be you. Will they in trying to protect what is tlhIngan teH destroy it?

The other plot is "Redemption". The most tragic redemption story I have ever read is that of Elric of Melnibone the first of his species to be born with a conscience. With tuq H'joQ on the slippery slope of nationalism at any cost, what storyline could allow one of its own to save it, both within and without, when the Night of the Long Knives catches up with them. Something that they seemed to have missed is that these actions do not remain unnoticed forever. While it took nearly 60 allied nations to defeat expansionist fascist regimes on earth, no less exists in the Star Trek universe. That person, complicit in all the houses dishonor, may convert to the hero needed to prevent the house's destruction (and the Empires) by creating a compromise which embraces the virtues of both Klingon and UFP while sacrificing a more radical section of the house for control of future outcomes. Vladimir Lenin has been painted by some as controlling both the Bolsheviks and the Mensheviks in order to make one look more radical while the other seemed like the middle of the road compromise thereby getting opponents to choose what he wanted in order to avoid the more radical proposal. A similar play could be written where the pivotal character does indeed sacrifice the more radical side of his house to save and to eliminate it for the good of the house and the empire; a move which convinces that radical sect to accept their sacrifice as a ruse, while in reality this main figure truly wants them eliminated in order to prevent the radical shifts they are bringing about in Klingon society.
Thanks for that. I just had found the Space Vikings a bit too 2-D for my brain to wrap around.

As to the H'joQ, one thing I had not mentioned is that they are also ruthless opportunists and are also very dangerous in that they plan for the very, very long term. The average H'joQ might not see the fruition of their Houses plans, but they will carry out their Houses plans with little question or compunction is they think it will get The Empire (thus, themselves) ahead.

For the 'Descent into Madness' idea, I had something which I had run in the background in my original campaign, namely that the H'joQ invited in any and all Klingons who had not been killed or discommendated from their families ones their ridges were gone and their thought processes had been altered by the Augment Virus, and treated them as family (much to the distaste of other houses). But their plans were more pragmatic which involved swelling the houses ranks, intelligence on the other houses, and a rather dark objective to be accomplished over the long term: the reconstruction of the Augment Genome and the superior abilities exhibited by the Klingon Augments.
The H'joQ have been slowly successful over the years in reconstructing it, and within the last 100 years have been seeding the genome into their own population while teaching their children to hide their traits and shunting their traits to where they would be most useful (the sciences and engineering). Their eventual goal is to have the population of the House become Augments. Many of the Houses intelligence masters are already Augments, and they intimately understand the houses precarious position and the the slow blade approach will be the one that guarentees survival. And the House's eventual cultural conquest of the Empire.

A horrifying idea by any Klingons Standard. And would resist if they had any idea it was going on. But the H'joQ I designed to be a long term threat to both the Empire and Federation and they usually act through unwitting proxies.

The H'JoQ are The Dark Mirror of Klingon Ambition in perhaps the most literal sense. Instead of Personal Ambition in a Traditional Klingon acting as the lone warrior crushing all in his path, they are the silent pack of Targs, snipping and taking bits out of and enemy while he flails about blindly before leading other predators to him, all the while husbanding their strength for striking when the time is right.

When Designing adventures with them, the H'joQ are masters of the Xanatos Gambit http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../XanatosGambit (To prevent Villain Decay) and creators should take this into consideration. It makes them more interesting over the long run.

I currently starting to work on script for a Klingon Adventure where the players will be come aware of them perifierally to begin with. I might create it as several adventures.