View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I totally agree with what you said in relation to programming and variables and that it is not necessarily a "simple fix".

However, it is necessary. And I'm not saying that just because the RA ranks get mangled. I'm saying that because having a greater level of immersion in EVERY new mission demands that players are addressed the way they expect to be addressed. If you don't have those additional variables, it guarantees that anything beyond "[Rank] [LastName]" is going to be misparsed by mission text sooner or later. And EVERY time a player's name gets misparsed, they are going to note it with displeasure. Furthermore, it is inflexible. It practically forces all interaction to be toward the character's Starfleet rank and it can not deal with non-Western naming conventions.

My VA character's formal Vulcan name is "G'eek, Son of N'erd". But I had to drop "Son of N'erd" because the game simply can not parse it correctly and I have no way to "help" the game parse it correctly. It would really, really be bad if the game called me "Rear Admiral, Lower Half, Son of N'erd" when it really ought to read "Admiral G'eek". On the other hand, as a diplomat, it would be better as "Ambassador G'eek, Son of N'erd" formally and "Ambassador G'eek" otherwise. For certain kinds of missions, it would be nice if I could "help" the game address me in a different way.

I understand it's not getting fixed in the near future. But "Never" is a poor solution.
You've got a very good point there, but "Rear Admiral, Lower Half, Son of N'erd" made me fall off my chair