View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 11
03-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufia
i vote no i suggest it's time for a 25th cent pack where our ships actually have the proper warp core and not universal hallways and such ... you know like real star trek
Except:

1. Star Trek is NOT real. It's make-believe.

and

2. Star Trek IS all the stuff you keep saying has no place in the game. I'm glad you love the 25th Century, but if I was the Marketing Department at Cryptic and I heard they were going to stop making the stuff fans associate with and will pay money for, I'd be screaming bloody murder with my eyes bulging out of my head.

This is the reality of STO. For STO to stay alive, it has to make money. With a fan base as rabid as the Star Trek IP has, you can't give generic stuff no one has ever seen before, and sell it as Star Trek. It just doesn't work.

You have to sell the IP on stuff that fans care about. Otherwise, why buy it?

Why should I care about a bunch of stuff Cryptic made up as filler? I barely had any interest in TNG, and had virtually no interest in DS9. I thought Nemesis was a weak movie. That alone means I'm not very likely to buy anything associated with those eras. And so, I'm certainly not inclined to buy anything with an era that I have no vested interest in.