Thread: Using ! marks
View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 1 Using ! marks
04-11-2011, 12:55 AM
I know this may sound like a silly question at first, but I find myself grappling with the following problem. Sometimes it is warranted to have a bridge officer speak using a exclamation mark, but I'm mindful that there's a chance for a BO to be a Vulcan, and then it may seem out of place. It seems almost like we're stuck between a rock and a hard place, because if you never include emotion in a BO's text, that might seem strange in certain circumstances (and most of the time the BO won't be a Vulcan), but if you do it may seem out of character if the BO is a Vulcan.

All that said, I'm sort of leaning towards the occasional inclusion of exclamation marks with the justification that even though Vulcans don't speak with emotion, they still can speak forcefully. Not to mention, Vulcans do have emotions they just try to suppress them.

Just to give one specific example, in my mission the science officer detects a rare type of comment, and I feel that it would be warranted for him to show more interest than a deadpan statement. Or another hypothetical (not in my mission) is a Romulan Warbird decloaking suddenly off the port bow.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this?