View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-13-2011, 01:58 PM
I haven't been using them, but I would agree with those who suggested it for people that aren't experienced at writing. Grammar and spelling seem to be one of the key nitpicking points (I'm guilty of this as well, of course; nothing turns you off of a mission faster than seeing "Go fight some Rmulanz!") so if that's not your strong point, use the technology available to help you.

Be careful, however. You don't want to get stuck like some of these people plotting detailed storylines that are completely impossible in the Foundry. Make sure you know what you can and can't do, and be flexible with the plan. I would recommend, if you haven't touched the Foundry before, to do some test missions on Tribble (So as not to waste your mission slots on Holodeck) to explore what's possible. Hands-on experience is better than a million how-to videos. Though, you might want to look at some of those too; kirkfat's videos can be quite informative for the more advanced techniques.

None of this is to say I'm going about this completely spontaneously, though. I have an idea of what I want before I even start the mission, but it's a flexible plan that can adjust to the limitations and possibilities. I also leave it open to new techniques that might arise in the future.