View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I think you're just throwing nerdy words together to fit in, Wishy. :-)

Fanfic... for a LARP? But isn't a LARP by definition really immersive fanfic?
Yes and no. My LARP group had a forum where we run "downtime" things. 'What did your character do while not playing those 4 hours you do every Friday?'-type stuff. And every 2 weeks, we get a challenge from our Story Tellers. A topic is given and we write about our character along the topic.

...maybe I'll steal that idea for the STO boards... >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
I think what hit me the worst was I had planned out exactly what I wanted, then realized the Foundry couldn't handle it so I had to try and think of something else to do. While the story is obviously important, I'm really big on the atmosphere of the environment too and the things going on around the player. The most fun I have in the Foundry is trying to the environments match what I have in my head.
This sadly can happen in most media.
Two things I suggest here:
  • Check what else you could possibly do to avoid X
    This is something that you sometimes see done in movies. You'd like to have a certain effect or a certain atmosphere, but something limits you. That can be your budget, that can be time restrictions. Sometimes just shuffling about pieces can help.
    ...and if not...
  • Re-Write a block to make things fit.
    Take a few steps back and check how far back you need to retrace your steps to exclude something and still tell your story. Sometimes you need to omit something, and it sucks if you do, but taking a few steps backwards and getting yourself re-entered into something can really help you. Not having to fully scrap a story is always preferable.