View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I've been trying to just transition them back to sector space, but that doesn't work either. It's rather disappointing. I wanted the player to have some CHOICES to make that actually affected the mission's course.

Very disappointing.
The best you can do is artificially create less desirable routes where combat would happen or have lengthy dialogue trees that vary dramatically (but, obviously, the dialogue would be self-contained, you couldn't have choices in that dialogue tree affect future conversations directly).

Here's one example of "branch" mission i fudged during closed beta:
  • You break into a Klingon Interrogation Facility on Rura Penthe.
  • You officers note that you can:
    • go across the ridgeline in the dense snow (and try not to fall off the catwalks into the mobs below) or
    • take the direct "spray and pray" approach through the valley.
  • I created a sufficiently large volume to exit out of that players could either exit through the roof or ground level entrance to the facility (cleverly placing rocks to prevent entry through non-sensical areas)

It had the illusion of choice (but no branching objectives). Players got to choose how they entered the facility but, nevertheless, had to enter it somehow.

Does that make sense? It's not unlike a modern FPS where you can do the stealth option or the combat option (killing the KDF patrols wasn't an objective but it's one players would assume if they wanted to enter the facility through the valley)