View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 108
06-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrazol View Post
I still think instantly clearing debuffs with one skill makes that skill pretty useless. It's certainly the case with Jam Sensors. Less so with Scramble because it can affect multiple targets at once, but still...

For example, using Polarize Hull to counter a Tractor Beam is much more balanced, IMHO, because:
- you can only use Polarize Hull for yourself
- PH has to be running while a Tractor Beam is applied, meaning:
- if it runs out while the Tractor Beam is still active, the TB will affect you again
- the Tractor Beam will affect you until you can start PH, which means it will still stop you for a short time.

But countering ablities with Science Team is just awful, imho. An instant cure, from an ability that you don't even have to have yourself. Meh.
You're only likely to have one ST. Things will get past it a lot.

The current way is that *nothing* reliably clears SS, which is worse. It should have at least one reliable counter.

PH isn't the only thing that clears tractor beams -- APO does as well, and it's often possible to just muscle through it with a combination of Evasive Manuevers, EPtE, Engine Battery, Aux to Dampeners, or just running high power to engines. When I run my Excelsior-R I'm likely to be immune whenever APO or PH cool down, and I almost always have some movement buff up which is enough to power through those times when no immunity is available.

Tractor beams can be effectively countered by each type of BOff: Tactical uses APO, Science uses PH, and Engineering can just muscle through with EPtE and Aux to Dampeners. This means that any ship can counter tractors, usually while gaining some other benefit.

PH isn't the only thing that counters tractor beams, it's just the only thing most people bother using.

SS is broken because it's a CC that disables the one ability which removes it. That's stupid game design. Sometimes you can just target yourself and make ST work but very often it will randomly target something else. The only reliable counter is for someone else to cast ST on you.

It wouldn't be so bad if another ability removed SS, as long as something did it 100% of the time. The downside to using a counter like that is that you are then vulnerable until the ability cools down (or you carry multiple copies and give up other offense and defense).