View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 40
06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Also, it occurs to me that the confirmation we got from Wishstone comes from a private correspondence, which we aren't allowed to post. This whole topic is a mess.
Well I edited just in case, but I always took it as talking about in factions and policy than something like this, which is more of a public need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
It will be all DON'Ts aside from "make original content." And it will be nothing but an expanding list of DON'Ts.

They aren't Intellectual Property Lawyers. They don't know how to read their own EULA. They will err on the side of caution.

If you ask if you can use DS9 as a mission location? The answer will be no. If you ask if you can use a Cryptic NPC in the Foundry like Stellys the Wise, who already exists as an NPC? The answer will be no.

And I'm going to come right out and say what I've been thinking forever: use of Klingonese or foreign language missions is also technically a no. Foreign language will be shot down because Cryptic can't police it, like the forums, and Klingonese words will be shot down because they're a foreign language and because most originate in books, which we're expressly prohibited from using as reference.

Which brings up the next point: technobabble.

If you're using the ship blueprints as reference? Don't. If you're using any supplementary technical resources? Don't. If you're using something not decipherable as plain English? Don't.

The EULA itself is becoming a paltry defense because the devs aren't fighting FOR the fullest and broadest range of rights ascribed to Foundry authors in it.
True, Wishstone and the Dev Team aren't IP Lawyers, but they do converse with the Cryptic legal department in situations like this to guide us.

Like I said before, hopefully we can have a sticky or editing Falcon's sticky to reflect these EULA questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
Not quite. The ships can still be referenced. Which I presume makes seeing the Defiant docked at DS9 acceptable, just as long as it's no more than background fluff.
From what I'm told we can mention ships, people, and situations. But anything behind that "may" violate the TOS. So in that situation seeing the Defiant docked, would violate the agreement. But if you renamed the "Defiant", then it would be acceptable.

Anyhow, I asked Wishstone to make an official post here to make things ironclad.

So basically the Foundry users should live by the credo, "Don't show, but Reference".