View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 96 A Place of Solace...
06-07-2011, 05:56 PM
A Place of Solace

----There were many areas of the U.S.S. Enigma that Captain Tenebrae enjoyed spending his time, but none more so than his Ready Room. All around him sat memories of missions past and friends long lost. After finishing reading his last Department Head report of the day he sank into his chair and glanced at those memories that surrounded him. One memento that sat on his desk caught his eye. It was a small metallic sphere. He picked it up turning it in his hands, smiling thoughtfully, he began reminiscing. His mind took him back to an afternoon in late 2398...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----First Officer of the Star Cruiser Class vessel the Enigma-F at that time, Tenebrae patiently stood in his Captain's Ready Room. Across the table from him, Captain Gabriel Devereaux sat in his chair deeply studying various reports on his PADD. Upon noticing the Commander now standing before him, the Captain smiled and motioned for Tenebrae to sit opposite him.
----"You wanted to see me Sir?"
----"Enough of this 'Sir' nonsense Tenebrae, I've told you before. Call me Gabe."
----"Okay," Tenebrae shifted uncomfortably in his chair, "you wanted to see me...Gabe?"
----"Yes. You have a lot of potential Tenebrae and I wanted you to be the first to know, I've recommended you for your first command. Your handling of the Franklin Research Station incident was impressive and Starfleet Command seems to agree with me. Once we return to Earth Spacedock next month you are to be promoted and reassigned to your own ship."
----Tenebrae, looking shocked, stared for a few seconds before continuing, "I don't know what to say Gabe. Thank you, but are you sure I'm ready for command?"
----"Tenebrae, to be honest I'd be more concerned if you weren't hesitant at the prospect of commanding your own ship, but no, I have no doubts that you are ready for the next step in your career."
----"Do you have any advice for me?"
----"I'm glad you asked." Gabe walked over to the replicator and ordered two Firenut Coffees. He returned to sit at the desk offering Tenebrae the other cup. "Careful now, it's Firenut. It has quite the kick to it. Now, where were we? Ahh yes, advice. I've noticed you tend to distance yourself from others on a personal level. You have to be comfortable around your crew so they feel comfortable around you." Gabe sipped his Coffee gingerly, motioning for Tenebrae to do the same.
----"I hadn't noticed, I suppose I could join in the Poker games I keep getting invited to and I was considering taking up Lieutenant Commander Kurga's request to teach me Mok'bara."
----"Excellent ideas. Also you may have noticed that I spend a lot of time in this room." Tenebrae nodded in agreement, his eyes watering from his first sip of Firenut Coffee. Gabe continued, trying not to laugh, "You must always remember Tenebrae that your ready room is your Sanctum, your place of solace. While you must always be ready to jump into battle at a moment’s notice, you must always take the time to remember the past and what brought you to this point. I, for one, keep mementos and trophies from my past to keep those memories fresh." Captain Deveraux walked over to a shelf and picked up a small metal sphere. "This, for instance, is a gift I received from a Wadi Ambassador during a diplomatic mission. It's called an Ocapi, he said it would bring me luck and long life and I have to say it's working so far." He walked further along the same wall, bypassing many other items and trinkets, most of which Tenebrae noted would make the Smithsonian proud to have. Gabe stopped underneath a painting of an Excelsior Class vessel and Tenebrae watched as his Captain reached up and slowly ran his fingers over the canvass.
----"I've noticed that painting before, which ship is she?" Tenebrae enquired.
----"That was the U.S.S. Vanguard. She was the first ship I was given command of. She was very old when I took command but she always looked after us. Unfortunately, we lost her during a battle with Jem'Hadar. We managed to take most of the enemy ships out but one managed to get through our defences. It crashed into us heavily damaging Engineering. It was too much for the Vanguard to take and her Warp Core began breaching so we abandoned ship and waited for rescue. Half of the escape pods were vaporised when the Core finally breached. Ever since then I've used the memory of those deaths to spur me on, to become a better Captain and also to become a better friend."
----"I never knew that." Tenebrae took a large drink of his Firenut Coffee, his eyes widening and watering even more than the first time. This time Gabe couldn't hold back and burst out laughing.
----"Thanks I needed that. Here, take this," Gabe threw the Ocapi to Tenebrae, "Consider this your first addition to your own ready room collection."
----"Gabe I can't take this," Tenebrae finished the last of his Firenut Coffee, shuddering at the sensation once more, "you're right this does have a kick, I could get used to it."
----"You will. I mean that about the Coffee and the gift. It's mine to give away and now it's yours."
----"Thank you Gabe, I'm honoured."
----There was a beep from the communication system followed by a soft female voice, "Captain Devereaux and Commander Tenebrae to the Bridge, we're receiving a distress call from the S.S. Fiji."
Gabe looked over to Tenebrae and grinned, "see what I meant by 'a moment's notice’?" He turned his attention to the disembodied voice, "Helm set an intercept course."
----"Aye Captain," the voice replied.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----Tenebrae drifted back to reality. That day was the best and worst of his career so far. During that rescue mission, Captain Devereaux was killed and the Enigma-F was lost, valiantly attempting to save the passenger vessel, S.S. Fiji. However, acting Captain Tenebrae managed to save two-thirds of the crew. He transported them, along with himself and members of the Fiji's crew they had rescued, to a Class M moon, orbiting a nearby Gas Giant, before what was left of the disabled and heavily damaged ship fell into the atmosphere. They were rescued shortly afterwards by a Vulcan Science Vessel. He would never forget the advice of his friend Gabe, and kept the Ocapi on his desk as constant reminder. Gabe had been right, this place was a haven and every moment spent there was to be treasured. There was a beep from the communication system followed by First Officer Vol's voice, "Captain Tenebrae to the Bridge."
----"On my way Commander," he replied while standing up. Tenebrae finished his third Firenut Coffee of the day, straightened his jacket and placed the Ocapi back onto it's display stand. After a short thoughtful look around his Ready Room he strode confidently onto the bridge, "okay, what have you got for me today?"