Thread: Jiffy Pop FAQ
View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
I think, in this case, the gaping lack of leveling content causes more problems for the KDF population than exclusive access to what few things are still unique to us do good.
I completely agree that lack of leveling content is a problem. However, exclusive assets are beneficial, not problematic. Every exclusive feature, ship, trait, or mission the KDF has is one more thing weighing down the scale in the KDFs favor, adding the same things to both sides of the scale only preserves the current imbalance, doing nothing to encourage a Fed to come over to the KDF.

Quote:
The faction swapping proposal would alleviate this by allowing players to bypass the torturous KDF leveling experience.
I see this as an avoidance of a problem rather than a true solution. The faction swapping proposal (which admittedly has high costs) is more likely, I believe, to result in temporary KDF population jumps, not a significant rise in permanent (as permanent as anything is in a Video Game) KDF population.

Quote:
As far as your other question. There are a couple of definite benefits to the Federation having the unique assets. In a previous post I went on in detail about how bugs and failures with those specific assets would be corrected with a higher priority if they more severely effected the larger player base. The introduction of other play style combinations or options could be a draw to players currently not involved in the game, even if they were on the Federation side, which would be better for the game overall.
Herein lies a distinct difference in our viewpoint, KDF proposals which overtly benefit the Feds more than they will benefit the KDF worsens the current imbalance, something I do not and cannot accept. If I am to support any proposal related to the KDF in this game it must reduce the imbalance between the Factions, not worsen it.

It's my belief that prospective players are more likely to buy the game and remain subbed if they have two full Factions of content, Two distinct and different cultures to explore. Continuing a path of imbalance only hurts the games prospects with such players, who I believe are likely to outnumber prospective players with a Fed-only mentality.

Quote:
Now, from an exclusively Klingon point of view, it becomes a question of whether the benefit we see in terms of players ONLY playing on the KDF or new players choosing to play on the KDF because of these unique benefits is greater than the benefit we would see by having cloaking bugs, fighter AI, universal slot balance plus whatever future problems we have fixed sooner. I admit freely it's a question that I don't think anyone has the numbers to answer objectively, but subjectively, it feels like there are precious few who decide to play Klingon and stick with it through all the stuff we have to put up with for the sole reason of access to a few unique assets.
In all honesty, I would rather put up with the cloak bug and suicidal fighters for another two years if it meant exclusive leveling KDF PvE, which I believe is a bigger problem than any bug or fighter AI issues. Especially when one realizes that the bug-hunters at Cryptic are entirely different people then the content developers. In light of this, we could have both, if we raise the priority of the KDF itself in the eyes of the devs. Something which has been repeatedly shown to be tied to our population.

And I think you've hit on a salient point without realizing it.

Quote:
..it feels like there are precious few who decide to play Klingon and stick with it through all the stuff we have to put up with for the sole reason of access to a few unique assets.
Quite true, which is why I am passionately in favor of more unique assets rather than fewer. It's sort of cost-benefit analysis. "Am I willing to put up with a leveling grind for 10 unique assets? 20? What about 30? 40?" The more unique assets the KDF has, the more the cost-benefit analysis comes out in the KDFs favor.