View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 1 Time to be Inclusive...
06-18-2011, 07:22 AM
A thought occurred to me this morning that I think has some merit for those of us who play KDF pretty much exclusively in the game.

Many of us have a sort of elitist mindset to some degree -- yes, we are open and accomodating to those who have embraced the Klingon Path, but we also tend to look down on the Federation players for a number of reasons. Although we complain, some of us actually take pride in being a minority faction in the game. That makes us unique. That makes us a private club in some respects. There is nothing wrong with that, but I think that those of us who belong to this club need to pause a moment and consider the opportunity that is before us with Season 4, and the potential positive impact it is going to have on our faction.

I just read a post by Mr. Stahl that I thought was great. He was replying to another post that asks why a player who only likes PvE would want to roll a KDF character in Season 4. Here is his response:

Quote:
first - you'll want to read this...
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...7&postcount=42

I think it is a great time to roll a Klingon in Season 4. The new Qo'noS gives a solid new starting location and bump to the KDF faction through small neighborhood missions. We are releveling Klingon access to episodes so that there is a clearer path through the episodes that are there. New ground combat is awesome and makes PVP fun (I know my Gorn is enjoying it).

There are new events coming in Season 4. New types of Ground Fleet Actions. Updated End Game Loot and STF improvements. Better access to Fleet Actions via Queues. New Feature Episodes that will be playable by the KDF are incoming. Duty Officer system is on its way with KDF specific assignments. And KDF are getting new ship variants soon too in Season 4.

So yea... I think if someone asked me, "Should I roll a Klingon toon?" - I would say - wait until Season 4 launches!

Given the fact that my team is small and that we have to get the biggest bang for our buck with what we do make, I think I'm finding compelling ways to improve the KDF faction while continuing to provide content for everyone.

If you don't think there is enough fun to be had for players who want to roll a Klingon, then that is your opinion. But maybe you are just one opinion out of many potential Klingons. At the end of the day the statistics will show if it helped or not.

Its quite possible that some KDF players will never be happy until they get their own Klingon-centric game.

Poor Romulan fans are groaning right now...
As I read this, it occurred to me that those of us who play Klingons in the game have an opportunity to shine when Season 4 launches. We are more organized, more helpful, and downright more friendly that most of the Federation player base. Based on the changes I see coming in Season 4, I do not think that there is any intention to merge the two factions -- and I also don't think that the War is going to end -- there might be some interesting missions where we have to team with the Feds out of sheer mutual survival...but such pairings are temporary (note - that is speculation on my part, but I do think it is accurate). To be honest...those types of missions could be sort of cool -- a sort of situation where two enemies must unite in order to achieve a specific goal...and at the end of the mission, they part ways, knowing that the next time they meet it will be with weapons blazing. I think I have seen a few Star Trek episodes that embrace this theme.

We are going to have open PvP in former Federation sectors. Actually.."semi-open" is probably a better term for it...but still...that all by itself is a nod to the KDF. It makes us more relevant as a faction -- that one item alone makes us matter in the game....and I think that when Season 4 goes live and those Fed players are transiting a sector and they see a KDF Raider Fleet swooping down on a Federation convoy....in some of those minds a singular thought is going to occur...and that thought will be:

"I want to be like THOSE guys.....

Another thing to consider -- our "homebase" is going to be radically different, new, and fun. It is something that the Federation side just does not have. It is rare and unique in the game. That is going to attract players left and right.

My point is this -- we are going to have an influx of new KDF players with Season 4. Our community can use this next update as a powerful recruiting tool. When Season 4 goes live, we can schedule a weekend of fleet events and -- through the forums -- make it known that new KDF players can join with us and see what it is like to carry a disruptor and a Bat'leth. Individual KDF players can make a point of being online and acting as friendly advisors giving tips in the chat channel -- ship strengths and weaknesses, the limitations and strengths of the Battle cloak, Carrier tactics and operations, Klingon PvP tactics, showing folks were stuff is, etc. We can take groups of newbies on tours of KDF space and the few bases we possess. We can put together groups to go into Pi Canis and do the dailies there.

If we can generate enough interest in the faction, we will gain members. I believe that the most powerful thing that we have as a faction is our play environment. I have heard several new players comment in Qo'nos how helpful the KDF side is, and how different the "tone" and environment we have -- in a positive way -- is from Earth Space Dock.

To get the ball rolling, I would encourage individuals and fleets to reach out to the Federation community initially through the forums. Let those potential Klingon recruits know that if they choose to try out a Klingon charactor with season 4, or even just pick up where they left off if they have one that has been sitting there because of difficulty leveling, that we are there to help and assist. Of course, the ironic thing is that we will be learning where the new stuff is in First City as well...but hey -- that can be fun too! We can explore it together.

Perhaps it is time for us to be more inclusive of the other player base - not as an ally, or as a merged faction, or anything of the sort -- but rather view them as future KDF Lieutenants fresh out of the Academy. We can take those that can see past their ingrained prejudices and bring them under our wing.