Thread: K't'inga Refit?
View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
dontdrunkimshoot, could you please share with us where some of your information regarding the difference in performance between the K't'inga and the Constitution come from, what border incident you're refrring to and where it was ever stated that the K't'inga is called D8 or that it was an entirely new constuction?
Some of it reminds me of Klingon Academy while other stuf for example totally contradicts the old 1980's FASA material, which made it pretty clear the K't'inga was not a 1-on-1 match for the Constitution.
I'd be very curious which soft/non canon material you used as background.
none of what i wrote can be called all that canon, and some things were kind of implied in the movies but i ran with them. there is a lack of a concrete information durring that period and i did my best to piece together information and figure out a pecking order.

1. the lack of canon open war at that point might be because of a deterrent. the refit constitution getting rid of v'ger when a squad of ktingas was annihilated could be such a deterrent.

2. the connie being no match for a ktinga i think is funny because the klingons think its really powerful at that time, if you run with that deterrent idea. in those SFB based starfleet command games federation ships always had the best sensors, so i figure they would know how their ship stacks up before the klingons do, they would need a fight to be sure. plus the federation has the excelsior eventually and connie, and it only seems fare that the ktinga ranks somewhere between the 2. in canon the klingons didn't have all those nifty FASA ships.

3. i recall the destruction of the Hood from ether SFB or FASA or whatever sparking a war or open aggression so i used that as the incident that gave the klingons real battle intelligence, then they acted accordingly.

4. a D7 probably cant just be turned into a ktinga, so i figured a D8, or what ever you would call an uprated D7 would make sense. i was saying that a D8 and a ktinga were 2 different ships too, the ktinga being all new from the ground up and the D8 being an upgraded D7. since the connie refit is an uprated connie, it seemed that them being a more even match was fair.

5. the enterprise movie era history between ST I and ST II i talked about is basically exactly what any complex timeline you can find on line would tell you about that era.

6. i noticed that the relient's role bar phasers looked thicker then the enterprise's phasers in ST II, and in ST III kirk specifically asks about a refit, not just a repair, and he's gotten his second wind and feels young and all that and he wants the enterprise to be top of the line again. to me that implies that the heavier role bar phasers the light cruiser relient fired might be a newer stronger emitter, and would be installed in the duel turret locations on a heavy cruiser, wile a light cruiser might just have those heavier phasers in its role bar. so thats why i think there was a further uprating, but that doesn't seem like enough to beat a ktinga to me.

7. the klingons turning to the bop design would make sense because if their top cruiser couldn't compete then they would need a cheap giant slayer because they could not compete with the federation economy, another notion from the starfleet command games

8. that augment smooth brow fear in heart thing should be all to familiar to anyone who watched enterprise and has played STO, and could further explain siding on caution durring this time. also the klingon academy storyline that took place before ST VI, by then the klingons were finally becoming klingons again.

9 in the late 24th century the BOP was the go to klingon ship when anything less then a vorcha or negvar was needed. the ktinga was only ever in the background. also that red beam they fired during that period i figure are some kind of heavy weapon for fleet battles, any conventional weapons it could mount at that time probably wouldn't be powerful enough to mater.

i think that's all that might need explaining, i'll try to further clarify if wanted.