View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-28-2011, 05:49 AM
Yeah, I understand the appeal of option 1 given that subscribers can become invested in their current skill build, boff setup and ship. Plus, to put this kindly, this game still has alot of ways and room to grow its existing end game experience. The developers have things like fixing STF's, more STFs, more PVP maps, more PVP game options, world PVP, AI difficulty scaling for ground PVE, and making female Vulcans available to the KDF in Orion outfits available to work on, so many things to work on in fact that any talk of Tier-6 seems premature. But since I haven't had my long term memory heavily edited I have to concede to the realities of both the "Tier 6 Enterprise" competition and the history of this MMO, they could go off and do this prematurely.

Having said that even if none of these things are fixed. Even if STF's aren't molded into the popular end game driver of the PVE game that I think they should be, Even if PVP doesn't ever get divided into five different ground and space maps each with unique goals to create unique play experiences, even if world PVP never grows to the point of having entire sectors of capturable zones with appropriate but not game destroying special rewards, and even if my Nausicaan pirate never gets the Vulcan Science Babe of his dreams, in an orion slave-girl outfit, I still think option 2 is the better choice.

Mr. Dee's reason is cerebrally inspiring. BoP Captains would normally be the big KDF stumbling block, but they've pretty much already had their spirit broken by the MVAE so when the KDF gets a Raptor with a Commander Tac, LtC Tac and LtC Science they'll probably just quietly switch over to that new ship instead of howling about losing what makes the BoP great. Leaving the BoP for those Klingons willing to try truly insane things with a Universal Cm, two Universal LtC spots and a Universal Lt. And obviously piloting a Guramba with a LtC engineer has been a dream of mine since I was a little boy.* Think about the possibilities, toy with them in your mind and see if you don't become just a little inspired yourself.

But even more than that introduction of Tier 6 can be a game saver. End Game is about more than doing all the end game content, so it's going to take more than new Featured Missions and STFs to keep End Game fresh. End Game is about building and refining your character, it's about optimizing your abilities, testing entirely new strategies and combinations and then, when you feel like it, throwing some time into that engineer alt you've got up to Commander to see what all of this is like at end game when you're a Cruiser. So every game has to change that part of the end game experience too, or it stagnates.

Now, they could change it while maintaining a cap at Tier-5 but it would be harder for the developers and less rewarding for us, those kinds of changes amount to buffing some abilities, nerfing others, and forcing people to adjust to the new flavor of the month. Or they could add entirely new abilities within the current Tier-5 system, but what would they add? Just trying to think of three new abilities is giving me a headache.

Changing the end game experience by expanding it though is easier and more viscerally awarding. People say they don't need more guns or more skills, and I believe them. But having more skills and bridge officer powers would certainly make me feel more awesome, sure, I don't need them but I won't turn my nose up at them either.

*I still consider myself a little boy at heart, just a little boy with 5 o'clock shadow and distinct body odor.