View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Quote:
1. What ship(s) did you fly as you ranked up? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
2. What ship(s) do you fly at cap? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
3. Which ship(s) do you think are currently overpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?
4. Which ship(s) do you think are currently underpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?
5. What feature of your favorite ships do you like the most? As in, console configurations, station configurations, aesthetics, special abilities, etc.?
1. 1 - 10 = Bird of Prey, Both, Solo
11-20 = K'tanco, Both, Solo
21=30 = K'tinga, PVE, Solo
31-40 = Vorcha, PVE, Solo
41-51= Vo'Quv, Both, Solo.

2. Vo'Quv primarily, Both, Solo.

3. None seem overpowered to me; though I haven't had much experience with the Varanus, Marauder or Gurumba.

4. Kar'Fi in my opinion. It feels way too fragile in comparison to the Vo'Quv, it's manueverability doesn't make up for that, and in my opinion a fighter bay is worth far more than a single weapon; so losing a fighter bay to gain a weapon and some maneuverability, then losing hull points on top of that... hurts. (This was at least true when I flew the Kar'Fi months ago.)

Another problem is that it has no access to the To'Duj fighters and the Bird of Prey. While the Feklhri Frigate is fairly nice, the S'kul fighters are, in my experience, terrible, because they blow themselves up. I grant I'm speaking from the perspective of a Vo'Quv captain here, but in my experience one of the things you want is for your fighters to stay alive as long as possible as a carrier captain so they can keep dishing out the pain.

The suicide ram also makes little sense in the context of the ship. I mean what are they, automated drones? Are Klingons actually flying them? I mean it's not that Klingons wouldn't do that under the right circumstances, but it strikes me as immensely weird that it's just part of how these things work.

Everything else felt alright to me; but again I have no experience with the Varanus, Marauder or Gurumba, so I can't comment there.

5. I love everything about the Vo'Quv ot be honest. Here's a list:

a) Fighters/Immersion - I just love having these around. It's not just that they're useful and powerful (they are), and it's not just that I like having pets (I do), but it's also because on some level it lets me feel like my battles make sense. ... What I mean is - because STO is a game, and a fairly easy one at that, sometimes we take on a ridiculous number of ships at once, and no matter what we're flying, we can come out on top.

I don't mind this, but on some ships it does push credibility a little. The Vo'Quv's fighters or Birds of Prey however create a backdrop of a fleet action of some kind; and the ship itself is just so huge that it's hard to question it mowing through tons of other vessels.

b) I love the way it turns. Yes it's slow... it's huge, it damned well should be! It feels more like a big ship than any other ship in the game at present. My Federation assault cruiser feels... a little too nimble at times imo.

c) Bridge officer configuration - IMO it has the best configuration out there, hands down. I love the idea of one Commander slot, 2 Lt. Commander slots and a Lt. slot. And because they're specifically Engineering and Science heavy, the Vo'Quv can be *monstrously* tough. Which I love... I play tanks a fair bit in other games; so being incredibly hard to kill is fun for me.

d) Firing ports - Unlike a lot of ships, the Vo'Quvs weapons tend to fire from logical locations. Beams for instance aren't all fired from almost the exact same point, which averts the weirdness that happens on some Federation ships where it seems like one array is firing 3 beams from the same spot. Likewise it's canon spread feels good, with the small guns up front and the big ones on the wings.

I know this isn't a huge thing for most people, but for me one of my biggest gripes with STO's ships has been how they handle weapon locations. There are too many situations where multiple copies of the same weapon fire from the *exact* same spot and... it just looks ugly; not to mention it makes the ship look poorly laid out in a military sense.

About the only thing the Vo'Quv fails on when it comes to firing ports is it's turret spread - which as with every other vessel makes all turrets fire from the exact same spot forward or rear. (Really wish there were say... a line of turret nodes on top and another on the bottom, so that in most cases if you have say... 3 turrets fore and 3 aft, they could fire from separate nodes while still remaining close enough so that you don't accidentally fire 'through' the ship. Which is another gripe I have about a lot of ships in this game...)

======

But yes, the Vo'Quv is hands down my favorite ship in the game at present.