View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Honestly, it looks to me like the original aft end was curved, into a rounded "belly", while on the CGI model there is a "cut" underneath the hangar bay which is perfectly flat, like on the original Enterprise, the Voyager, and in fact a lot of Federation models. (This seems to be a feature to help the warp bubble "contour" to the ship's shape, or perhaps to keep the vessel inside an anomaly in the bubble)

CapnLogan's correction seems to have tried to reproduce the curve of the "cut", without flattening it. So there is still that bulge under the hangar bay, which then bends downward to try to follow the curve of the "cut", while following a different curve than the original.

I think it's important to note, though, that none of your angles of the CGI model reproduce that aft view, and so we can't really SEE that that cut does in three dimensions. From the ventral view it looks it is flat from under the hangar bay to across the surface areas of those cargo doors, but then it becomes rounded at some point before it reaches the lowest point of the hull. You've drawn a line for the profile view, but that's very much assumption. And it seems to me the Season 4 aft section would match that, IF it was flat and not double curved in the portion under the wings.

I do like that you're pointed out where the Beta/Gamma Impulse Engines are, I was wondering about that. The "red lighting" on the in game sections are NOT in that location, and in fact don't correspond to any feature on the ship. In fact, IIRC both sections appear to locate their impulse engines as if they are located under the wings. (There are those large thruster panels on the sides of both sections, and the red trails seem to match up to that for the Gamma section, but for the Beta section it appears to be coming from either side of the hangar bay) The other variant costumes also lack visible impulse engines, (they weren't originally designed to separate...) so honestly, I really would like to see those added across the board.

One thing I will note, though, is that from the dorsal view it is obvious that the ship in game has a MUCH larger bridge area. And I would not expect it to perfectly correspond to the canon. That was a prototype, and this is the production model, after all. Details such as the vents on the underside aren't really a big thing for me. Honestly, you're going to get much bigger discrepacies simply because the texture maps they use for their ships aren't exactly the same as the texture maps used on the CGI model. (And that's assuming that's even canon, and not some fan recreation)