View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 138 The Ghastly Truth
07-09-2011, 03:26 PM
“I can’t do this.” Kim said, sighing with frustration. She leaned back in her chair, skewing her lips angrily at the PADD in front of her and tossed her stylus onto the desk.

She brought her hands up to her face, and smoothed her fingers along her chiseled features, turning her eyes to Lieutenant Julienne Clemmings, who stat on the sofa a few feet a way.

The rehaired Starfleet officer turned and looked at hte third year cadet and rose, placing her book face down on the suede cushions. She turned her gaze to the bay windows of the high rise overlooking downtown Oakland, the lights of the city glittering into the night sky. Combat medicine had been an easy subject for her, but one that after tomorrow when she joined the crew of the USS Oregon, may be put to the test. It was astrometrics that had given her trouble initially. Julie had never been good with stellar cartography. Probably why she had chosen to be a security officer instead of a helmsman.

She turned away from the windows, grabbed the back of a mahogany-colored wooden chair opposite the desk from Kim, and brought it to the side of the desk. She sat down and took her hand, smiling at her lovingly.

“You’d think with as many injuries as I’ve had in my life that combat medicine wouldn’t be such a difficult subject. My last three tests, I thought I had everything right, and I don’t know what I’m missing. The final is tomorrow, and I just don’t feel like I have a grasp on it.”

“Did you read Captain Volek’s feedback?” She asked.

“I did. They were just answers to the questions I had missed. I did fine on the labs, but for some reason I just can’t seem to get past the tests. I should have gone into engineering instead of this. I’m a helmsman for goodness sake.”

“Engineers still have to pass combat medicine, and you are still a tactical officer, with valuable ground combat abilities. You can expect to be asked to go on away missions, especially when you reach that coveted senior officer or ship commander level.” Julie quipped.

“I think you are just less of a bookworm when it comes to this particular subject. Just try to visualize what you are doing, like you have one of the test dummies or an actual patient in front of you. I know you’re good at that.”

Kim sat forward in her chair, and squeezed Julie's hand.

“Thanks hon. I just feel like a failure.”

“You’re not, and I have faith in you, though your ability to ask for help leaves something to be desired. Now, give me a copy of your last test, and your study guide and we’ll go over it. This time, I want you to visualize the scenarios and not the text book.”

It was 0920, and the completed test had been with Captain Volek for the last twenty minutes. The wait was excruciating.

Kim stared at monitor on her desk, her eyes tracing the contours of the border around the screen, and then to her hand and the bright red band around the cuff of her dark uniform. Here she was a third year cadet, a budding tactical officer about to fail Combat Medicine. The most basic function for any Starfleet officer to have on ground, especially a tactical officer. She had narrowly dodged being held back in her first year because of the incident over Starfleet Command, and in her second year because of fractured bones in her face, and now she was going to get held back because she couldn’t pass Combat Medicine.

A sigh broke her musings and she looked over at Cadet Amy Wycleff, who stared at her monitor, suppressing a look of joy.

Murmurs began around her as other Cadets began to receive their final grades. Kim looked up at her own screen to see a little “C” flash on the screen. Passed! Kim exhaled slowly in relief.

=^=

“Wait a minute.” Captain Vaihuu e’Hvalli interrupted her mother’s tale, and looked at her, an amused smile stretching across the Romulan halfbreed's thin lips.

"Your role within the Fleet is combat support. You are a combat medic."

The look of amusement on her daughter's face caused Kim to begin to laugh, which triggered laughter from Vaihuu. The two sat, opposite each other, pitcher of Vulcan spiced tea on the coffee table between them, laughing for several minutes.

“Well, I would like to think that I have made up for it since then." Kim said, regaining her composure. "It was almost forty years ago."

“I suppose I shouldn’t be too discouraged about learning the helm then.” Vai said, looking down at her glass of tea on the table.

Kim smiled at the young science officer. "You can do anything, my dear, when you put your mind to it. We should, however, talk to Commander Kala about the streak of red paint on the port nacelle.”