View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
That much is true. And in the end S4 Ground changes just ends up being a temporary Spike and it will return to being a graveyard.
Yea you don't tell me anything new there.. i wrote exactly that before S4 came when reading about their plans to make it all faster, different ranges, shotguns.. my prediction is totally in line with yours there.

Quote:
And yet your idea of fun ends up being the misery of others who don't stand a chance. Your own fleet members commented long ago after Ground PvP was completely dead that you lose interest because there was no players, because you chased them all away. Which is exactly why Space PvP is on life support, because all the best players discouraged new participants.
Yea blame the good players for the state of pvp... but thats how it is in any game, either losing motivates you to learn how to play it and you make friends to actually teamplay it or you don't.. no amount of game changes ever will make new players win against veterans in pvp.

Quote:
So there is a choice to be made, Newbs never return, you guys lighten up, or Cryptic steps in.
They did already.. they speeded it up, now the new players die faster then ever :c)

Quote:
Not true, if the objectives are part of winning the match then people would do them. Like Capturing the Flag in FPS games, where Objectives matter for the sake of winning. Shanty Town and Capture and Hold are really poor implementations of that system.
Well it leaves the choice between killing and pve objectives.. most people seem to prefer killing - although its much slower in shanty going by how games plays out most of the time.

Quote:
But as for those who "don't care too much for PvE objectives", you guys are the hunters and the killers. Thats why just plain regular Open PVP zones are needed, it gives you the outlet and not impeeding on those who fight for reasons or goals.
Actually different to you im not interessted in openpvp areas.. i've seen it in **** at launch, thousands of players zerging onto thousands of other players. Those battles are purely decided by what side brings more people.. its not worth my time. I prefer small arena's with even numbers where the quality of people actually matters and you have the feeling you are actually contributing to your team.

What i've seen of openpvp so far in mmorpgs were tailored towards zerg guilds, zerg guilds are not my type of guild. I prefer small elite guilds based upon quality people that can totally depend on each other.

Quote:
Well at least Cryptic made some effort in making sniper rifles, sniper rifles. Personally I wish they had a longer range with a stronger punch, with a greater cooldown with the secondary fire. They would be perfect to cover in shanty town from the roofs, or covering down corridors in the arena zones (of course these courses going in circles doesn't help with that aspect).
Maybe thats your type of gameplay.. i find sitting on the roof waiting for some victim to come into distance to one-shot snipe em from a save distance actually rather a bit lame.. its good for a few giggles but its not really teamplay bussiness and lacks quite a bit on action too - im glad that doesn't work in arenas, you actually got to deal with opponents in your face there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
There's no mix of offense or defense on shanty town. It's frankly another example of poor map and objective design.
Actually there is if played right..
- you got to defend your own base.
- you got to defend the capture point (theres 2 positions for that)
- you got to have a virus runner (an offensive job)
- you may need guards for the runner or go offensive and take their base, may need to defend it with your offensive players.

We've even some video on youtube of a fs vs chc game in shanty with capturing i think, probably this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrrGLfWZkqs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV4a1uNW7Dc

If you watch the score at the end and the action you'll see we didn't won it by making 60 kills, but rather by a mix of defending the capture point/carrier and doing the pve objectives and ignored chc bunkering on the bridge mostly

So yea shanty has offensive/defensive teamplay capabilities, the problem is rather that 99% of all games i've been people totally ignore the virus options and rather go killing.