Feedback & Analysis
View Single Post
Join Date: Dec 2007
07-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Hey guys,Specific questions:
1. What ship(s) did you fly as you ranked up? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
2. What ship(s) do you fly at cap? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
3. Which ship(s) do you think are currently overpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?
4. Which ship(s) do you think are currently underpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?
5. What feature of your favorite ships do you like the most? As in, console configurations, station configurations, aesthetics, special abilities, etc.?
I leveled all my characters via the "default" ships; escorts for tacticals, cruisers for engineers, and science vessels for scientists.
At cap I mostly fly a fleet escort with my Tactical character. Mostly I PvE, and PvP just a bit. When I group, it's always a random public group.
Many of the Klingon ships appear overpowered at this time. A cursory glance at SpiderMitch's ship charts for tier 5 certainly gives this impression. The raptor is just like the fleet escort, except it has a stronger hull. The battle cruisers are just like the fed cruisers, except they equip dual cannon, turn better, and have more crew. The Orion cruiser is just like a star cruiser, except it has fighter support and more crew.
Science vessels are underpowered. Cruisers set the firepower standard with 8 weapons. Escorts equip dual cannons to keep parity with only 7 weapons, and then punch ahead of cruisers due to commander and lt commander tactical boff abilities. Science vessels are far behind with only 6 weapons. This means that high level science boff abilities not only need to be just as good as comparable engineering and tactical abilities, they also need to make up for 2 missing weapons. Gravity well 3 needs to affect the enemy just as adversely as a tricobalt torpedo or repeated conventional torpedoes that occur over the same 1 minute cooldown. I know players get annoyed when a well aimed tyken's rift or viral matrix shuts them down, but at present there is NO situation in which I would take a science vessel over a comparably equipped cruiser or escort.
My favorite part of the ships are the exterior aesthetics. The ship I assembled from various fleet escort parts looks great, and the visible weapon ports pretty much match what I have equipped.