View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 43
07-15-2011, 08:56 AM
I understand that the movies and the TV shows are all we really have to go bye in order to predict how Klingons will behave, but I think we sell Klingons short by saying their attitudes and philosophies can't evolve at all based on what we saw in the shows. It has been what, 30 years since the events of the Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, etc.? Attitudes and philosophies can change in a major way in that amount of time.

I played the "Blood of the Empire" mission last night. I was talking to the Loresingers in First City, and I asked one of them about Martok. The Loresinger mentioned how Martok, despite being a prisoner, managed to regain his honor and become Chancellor, and that he was accepted as such. The Loresinger went so far as to say that Martok's death at the hands of J'mpok was a great loss, and that the Loresingers, and others, had foreseen that Martok would lead the Empire to great things. I'm paraphrasing here.

On the Barge of the Dead, there is a reference to Klingons having lost their honor, not because they were taken prisoner, but because they died as prisoners.

My conclusion from these references is that being taken prisoner isn't necessarily the death of honor for Klingons. There is a chance for them to regain their honor.

As others have mentioned, Klingon Honor is nebulous and situational. There are two primary issues in this thread. After all the discussion and a review of some of the source material, I can't say for certain that a Klingon would or would not liberate a Klingon that had been assimilated. However, I'm comfortable with the notion that a Klingon that had been assimilated and then liberated could regain his honor and be accepted in the Empire.