View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 167 Holo-Man, Part 2
07-25-2011, 11:38 PM
"Captain Spider-man, I'm a doctor, not a keyboard. It would go much faster if I could just go into the computer and rewrite it at the source". Arachnidus almost burst out in laughter. He was human, but his parents named him for the Klingon translation of Richard; apparently, Brave Ruler in tlhIngan Hol sounded oddly similar to the English word Arachnid. As such, this left Arachnidus on the receiving end of some creative Spiderman insults as a child. Ironically, Spiderman was his favorite super hero, so he didn't take it as much of an insult.

"I'll review it with the chief. And I planned on having the holoemitters refit anyway. You can oversee that, if you'd like". Arachnidus had a feeling this would satiate Zimmerman for the time being, until he could figure out a compromise for the computer upgrades. As the holographic avatar for one of the universe's most brilliant minds pondered the decision, the captain mentally remarked how amazing it was that the man was able to transfer his mind, his consciousness, some would even say his soul, into a modular computer program that was responsible for a hologram's behavior, looks and basic being. The thought was broken by the man's response.

"Alright. But I expect to be informed of your decision immediately."

"Deal. Is that all, Doctor?" Arachnidus was eager to get back to the bridge.

"Yes" Zimmerman said, as he walked out of the cabin. Arachnidus wondered about this act. Why not just transfer his avatar back to his quarters? Guess some habits die hard. A thought then dawned on the captain. One of his idols, as annoying as he was, was on board his ship. This may be the only opportunity he could ever have to discuss...anything, with him.

"Doctor, hold on a second" he said before the man could leave the room. "I wanted to know, would you like to join me on the holodeck later, say, around 0900? I have some ideas I'd like to discuss with you". Zimmerman was visibly surprised by the offer, and smile crested on his face.

"You know, I read your file. Average student, but all of your professors said you had the potential to be great, but that you were lazy. I could teach you some stuff before I go. See if they were right. Are you sure your girlfriend, that Lieutenant, won't mind?" he asked, a sarcastic yet elated tone in his voice.

"I think she'll forgive me this once."

"So be it. See you at 0900, Spidey". With that, his avatar blurred out of existence, likely going to main engineering to supervise the refit of the ship's holoemitters. Walking back to his chair, he looked at his XO, who promptly commented.

"He appears. Seems like you survived the meeting". Sitting back in his chair, the captain stared at the view screen. Even though it looked 2D, it was essentially a hologram, allowing it to display trillions of colors and to show depth, and to reconfigure itself as necessary; one of Doctor Zimmerman's inventions. Without this screen, that they took for granted every day, who knows how history could have wound up? As the Temporal Prime Directive stated, any little change could alter the timeline irreparably. How much of space would he have missed if Zimmerman hadn't figured out the holographic display? After the thought settled in, he turned to his XO.

"Mark, as much of a pain in our collective asses as he is, the man's a genius. And to be honest, I don't think he's really that bad on the inside. Just gotta get him out of there. Sorta like me in 6th grade, if you'll recall."

"That I do. Still, he is giving us a bit of trouble."

"That may be so, but...we'll probably come out of this all the better. At the worst, with some new holoemitters and a computer upgrade. Could be a lot worse, man. Tell Kyvaune I want the detail assigned to the holoemitter refit to cooperate entirely with Doctor Zimmerman". Lieutenant Commander Parker was visibly a little taken off guard by the order, but still complied.

"Aye, sir."

As he sat in his chair, pondering the day ahead, Arachnidus wondered what he could learn- and how thankful the crew would be once Zimmerman was gone. He felt sympathy for the man, because he knew why his crew would be annoyed. Zimmerman was temperamental, arrogant and so stubborn that not even death could get rid of him. But he was still a man, and the benefit of the doubt, in light of all the good he'd done, was something the captain could spare.