View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Congratulations! You clearly put some thought into the idea and handled that thought well.

However, I must be honest here...
Without putting down the winner one iota, the story seemed just a tad above ho-hum, with a good idea of the lava bomb just another weapon to add to the huge array of weapons launched by many writers. The add-on element of "environmental consciousness" drafted through the structure of the breaking moon killing those who caused it, seems just a politically correct ending.

I am led to the conclusion that the judges were not really looking for deeply creative ideas, but for ideas that could be safely taken through the management trail at their company without any backlash. Maybe not, but years in that environment speak loudly.

Unfortunately, this win could seriously dampen the enthusiasm of those brilliant writers who no doubt entered the contest, only to sigh in disbelief at the winning entry.

To the winner: please don't take this personally - it's merely constructive criticism that I hope will help you in your writing endeavours.
To the judges: please be honest and very clear about what you are wanting and what your decision criteria will be, and communicate this to future contestants.

Thank you.