View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoson View Post
Even if we are talking holograms of those ships we love so much, still for the game itself I still have to say no, i would be completely against it, simply due to the two facts
  • Wolf in sheep's clothing
  • complete overhaul in space combat mechanic.
The wolf in sheep’s clothing argument only works for PVP because in PVE it is really meaningless. How is it a wolf in sheep’s clothing if the wolf must remove the sheep costume before going into PVP? Did they totally overhaul space combat system mechanics to add the ship holo-emitters that are currently in game? It does not affect your game, but it could make the experience better for other players. It does not unbalance the game, require the changing of combat mechanics, and it simply expands on something that is already in game.

How horribly troubled were you that time I used a Jem'Hadar holo-emitter on my Defiant? How bothered would you be if I was about to make my Defiant look like a Saber in some random no name instance? I am not that crazy about ship appearance tabs or holo-emitters. I just see them as a PVE oriented compromise for players that would like to use a low tier ship with high tier ship abilities. It is much simpler than redoing the tier system or retrofitting ships and does not affect PVP.

This is not a serious Star Trek game, so do not pretend that it is. Adding more ship appearance options is not a slippery slope at this point, but it is just making an already vertical surface taller.

I do not have a problem with excluding the TOS Constitution or if they must exclude the other T1 ships because of a request by CBS. However, I have heard no such thing about the other low tier ships like the Saber, Akira, Nova, Olympic, and Cheyenne. This also does not including whatever future low tier ships they add. They cannot make everyone happy all of the time, but with an appearance option or holo-emitter for low tier ships they could make some of the people happy some of the time.