Turrets and BOff abilities
View Single Post
Join Date: Dec 2007
08-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by
As a slight aside, what is the reason for cannons and turrets being
able to target subsytems?
Not speaking for the devs but my guess is:
1) Encourages Science Vessels to stick to beams. (Cannons are more for Escorts, obviously, and to an extent Cruisers)
2) Makes up for beams' lesser damage, due to arc of fire. (Gets back to 1, although Science Vessels ended up getting Sensor Analysis as well, so apparently it doesn't help compensate for low damage THAT much)
3) Prevents Escorts from making full use of it even if they gain the skill with a BO.
4) Targetting a specific subsystem requires precise aiming and a fast travel time weapon. Beams strike the target sooner than energy bolts, and the point of impact can be used to adjust the aim continuously. The energy may also be built up on the target more gradually.
5) In the canon, Federation ships loved to target subsystems as a non-lethal method of defeating a foe, and they all tended to use phasers. So the connection was made between non-lethal tactics and the beam weaponry of the Federation. (Note also phasers seem to have a "stun" setting but blasters typically don't)