Thread: Fleet Flagship?
View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adml_shake View Post
Well it was wrong in the sense that in the real world there is no permanent flagship. Like how ever ship that carried the name Enterprise was the flagship of the fleet. It usually is just the ship that the highest ranking admiral is flying his flag on.
The Enterprise wasn't always the Flagship of the fleet. As I said above, that didn't come about until TNG decided to start using the term. In the TOS era several Commodores could override any decisions Kirk made even though he was on the Enterprise.

Quote:
And I disagree about people not caring about the ship. In the Star terk verse, the name Enterprise has always been associated not just with her command crew but with the fact that she's the ship that takes on the hardest missions, and gets the more interesting assignments. The fact that you are working with one of the best crew's in the fleet is just icing on the cake. Thats what would draw so many people to try and get a transfer on to that ship.
Not exactly. The Enterprise in the TNG era was designated a Flagship. It was given the best captain and he got his pick of whatever crew he wanted. This was then carried over to the Enterprise series, but what made the NX special wasn't that she was a Flagship, or that Archer was the best captain in the fleet. Her specialty was that she was the first warp 5 ship. Archer was captain because he spent his life working on his father's dream of warp 5 ships.

I understand the need to idolize the Enterprise but Voyager and DS9 did quite well without an Enterprise ship in their series. Any ship can be a Flagship in this game and when I finally get there I'm sure my Admiral won't be taking orders from any Captain on the Enterprise F just because it's a Flagship.