View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-19-2011, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palleon View Post
Hi,
To answer the questions about being overwhelmed - I dont remember the mission names sorry, but one was in the "Omar" system as part of a "Patrol the Risa Sector" misson. I warped in, had to destroy some klingon structures, but each one was surrounded by 6 or 7 birds of prey plus a capital ship, which all opened fire at once and I blew up in seconds. I came back in, and went to another structure, but had the same happen again. This was a level 5 mission (I think) and I am a level 7. This was not the first time I have had this.!
Suggest you read through the list of missions on STOWiki as this is really a good place to check out each mission in the sector and find out what is going wrong Sometimes you do get these missions that you need to consider from a different angle or even keep being attacked and respawning - check the level you are also setting the difficulty to as this can affect the mission.

Quote:
However, the general feeling of being lost is not just due to the mission. I cant work out how you craft, if you can craft, and what you do there. I have checked wikis but it doesnt seem to say, neither does the manual I found. Even talking to other players is a challenge - I havent yet worked out how to do a "looking for group" message or even reply to tells lol. I feel like a complete noobie again despite being a 14 year MMO veteran! Very sad I know!
Crafting is done on on Memory Alpha in the Memory Alpha System but you'll need sufficient elements picked up from missions to various nebulars or when in a local secotr space, pressing V shows anomolies that you can pick up near planets or on the ground that may help. Do this on each "mission" and you will find some hidden gems.

As for Looking for Groups, this is something you can do generally by selecting a player and talking to them - joining a group is only by invite but you can always form your own when you enter a deep space encounter and invite others by selecting their ship, right-click on their details and "invite to Group".

Quote:
I have various other missions in my log that I cant seem to do. One asks me to look for Player Made adventures, but when I do what it says it says "Zero matches". Another one asks me to defend "Starbase 24" but when i go there I get put into some sort of queue, where I then get blown apart in seconds by higher level ships.
Player Made Adventures (or Foundry Missions) have been offline for a few weeks or so but now should be back on Holodeck so this may have been fixed. As for Starbase 24, it can be tough to do this mission if you join the Fleet Battle so try and enter this when a lot more Fed ships are taking part as they can help - otherwise, try and gain more rank and a better ship first. You can revist missions or come back to them later if you prefer

Quote:
Also, when I fly between systems I get offered alot of "Deep Space Encounters" which I have been accepting, but which destroy me in literally one hit. I suspect that they are for much higher level players, although why they are in the first sector I dont know yet.
These are encounters in sector space that typically already have a Fed ship involved (glowing cloud of ships circling each other in Sector Space) so best to either join a group or move toward other Fed ships on the Map to give you cover - don't take on the enemy ships yourself until you have more rank or a better vessel I guess.

Make sure too, you improve your ranking grades as soon as you get more XP in the game as this leads to better and better stats overall and help you out. Also keep your BOFFs topped up with the XP so that they have the maximum skills on your ship to help in Battle. Finally, spend time assessing the weapons you collect in battle vs the ones installed in your ship - making slight changes in space can even up a battle and help you win.

If needed, give me a shout and I'll jump in to support you if needed