View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trone
I also saw somewhere (I "think" Capt'n Logan) stated that they didn't want to introduce a PvP situation where you didn't know the capabilities of your enemy.
If you meet a Bird of Prey with his universal consoles, you don't know what you're up against.

If you meet a Galaxy Class ship, it could theoretically be a Tier 4 or a Tier 5 ship. If I fight an Excelsior or Nebula, it could be Tier 3 or Tier 5.

But you know what? I tend to assume that whatever I fight in PvP is appropriate to the tier we're playing it. PvP is level-banded, after all. If someone takes his theoretical Tier 5 Constitution into PvP, I am quite aware there are Tier 5 Constitutions in the game and will act accordingly. I will not be lulled into a false sense of security buy someone using a weaker skin.

The entire argument holds no water, and if a dev, artist or producer working for Cryptic says otherwise, he clearly doesn't understand PvPers at all. That woudn't be a surprise, as PvP is pretty much neglected.
I also find it hard to believe that this is the real reason they are doing this, because in the past they have introduced plenty of stuff that broke PvP just because they wanted to give people cool toys.

The "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" argument is nonsense.

They can argue for verisimilitude (but why is the D'Kyr Tier 5 again, or the Excelsior, or the Nebula?)

They don't have any consistent argument. The only argument they can bring is "we don't want to make things worse". But it seems to me more people are interested in a Startrek theme park and not a Startrek simulation. That might be regrettable to some, and yes, it hurts verisimilitude. But IMO, the battle for verisimilitude has already been lost.
And If only at the point where I couldn't stun the Undine posing Starfleet Officer for committing war crimes against Romulan, or the point where the Borg started looking for artifacts of their 3rd Dynasty.