Thread: Soyuz Class
View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 1 Soyuz Class
08-23-2011, 06:41 AM
Now that Netflix has the Star Trek series streaming, I've forced myself to sit down and watch straight through. I just watched through the TNG episode where the ship is caught in some sort of static bubble/rift/anomaly something or other and collides with the Soyuz class USS Bozeman captained by Kelsey Grammer.

Cryptic could easily introduce the Soyuz class as a Miranda refit (as opposed to retrofit, I think I got that straight?) while maintaining "continuity". It's not that far off from the standard Miranda structurally (I recall artillery in place of the roll bar), so there shouldn't be too much in the way of extra design work to do. With said artillery in mind, maybe that could garner an extra tactical console slot and/or unique tactical console, perhaps with a rapid-fire boost or something of that nature. The Soyuz could even just be another skin for the standard Miranda.

I'm not proposing it to be knock-your-socks-off, just something that (presumably) would be easy to implement that could add some extra immersion to the game. I know there are many anti-light cruiser folks out there with the argument that you realistically wouldn't/shouldn't see light cruisers in abundance due to age/time line issues, and while that may be sound, I could never help but notice that it seemed any ship featured in an episode (with physical model) was either a light cruiser or Oberth class vessel, at least in TNG. Okay I'm totally rambling now, so I will stop.

Any thoughts?