View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar487
Plasma would not simply dissipate due to conservation of matter -- it has to go somewhere once the magnetic envelope holding it together is breached. Think of it like a balloon... once it pops, its contents will be ejected in all directions due to its high density plasma being suddenly being released in the vacuum of space. This would still result in small radius plasma torpedo explosion, probably with diminished damage.
Fair enough, I was more adding that to say that a Plasma Torpedo doesn't really explode, the warhead on it just breaks the "container" open. If shooting it down meant a short-lived effect similar to Eject Warp Plasma, then that would be fine and make some sense.

Quote:
The friendly fire-suggestion was just a means of discouraging point-blank torpedo shots, but you are correct, this could cause game damage logistics issues. TCD's could still be launched at point blank range, and any weapon fire causing immediate detonation would still result in the energy weapon-shooting ship being caught in the TCD's blast radius. If anything, this would strengthen the TCD now that shooting it down does not provide complete safety from its AoE burst effect.
I still think this would cause more issues than it would empower the TCD. Also, while this isn't necessarily true of Tricobalts in terms of canon, a Photon Torpedo requires at least 1.2 seconds after launch before it is effectively "armed" (matter/antimatter reaction is ready). In order to prevent other AoEs from just detonating a TCD just as it's launched, maybe a warhead timer could be introduced with this. This kind of thing even exists today with naval vessel torpedoes, and can be overridden for close range (basically for game-play, ignore the timer if it impacts the target).

Quote:
The suggested 10km range was made to allow torpedo warheads to eventually detonate instead of simply vanishing. After all, each torpedo is armed with an active warhead. These do not simply vanish unless disarmed.
I was under the impression that the 10km range only applied to the initial launch, and torpedoes pursued the target until impact/miss, but I'll admit I haven't messed around much with Plasma/TCDs so I'm uncertain. In any case, Plasma torpedoes do dissipate (based on info from Memory Alpha, from TOS Balance of Terror). TCDs being used as ship-to-ship weapons is already silly (they're capable of subspace distortions under certain conditions), so I don't see a problem with an autodestruct at this point. I'm sure the Klingon players would prefer a torpedo autodestructed once the target was under full cloak as well.