View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
Quick note:

Dan.. Dan, Dan, Dan.. What are we going to do with you?

You say F2P is a wonderful thing, because it allows the game to stand on it's own merits, having content be free but cosmetics be paid..

Dan, while an item lacks an in-game method of acquisition, it's a pay item. Announcing that there will be an in-game acquisition method doesn't change that. So the Rhode Island, and the other upcoming lower-tier ships that will have interesting consoles? Only when the method is in place can you say they aren't pay-for-power.

And they are Pay for Power. Just because you and the rest of the Dev Team has the publicity line that it isn't, doesn't fool anybody who has tested it, or even thought about having an extra tier-top power compared to other people.

The method has to come first, or at the same time to say they're available in-game. Nebulous future changes do not change their status now.

As to the hybrid F2p/P2P model you're going for, I can see the draw, and the industry itself seems to be moving in that direction, so I can see how this was perhaps an inevitability for virtually everything but WoW.

Indeed, it's likely that the model STO has followed (Debut P2P, go hybrid after initial run and real-world play has yielded important changes and updates) will be the model other games will follow (TOR, specifically).

So I'm not mad at the model, I'm mad at the timing. Perfect World couldn't have waited until the Pre-Launch LTS' had gotten their moneys worth? Until the 2 year Anniversary?

But here's my worry: There is, in the Asian MMO market, an unfortunate tradition of pay-for-power, items available for micro-transactions that have timers and give you Damage, Damage Resistance, or Regen Buffs. Things that unquestionably are pay-for-power, that give the edge to players with money to throw around, while claiming to be F2P and welcoming cash Strapped players, only to leave them unable to compete.

Please, state without doublespeak (Devspeak?) that that will not happen in STO.

Please repeat after me:

"I, Daniel Stahl, hereby swear and affirm that STO will not adopt a pay-for-power ideology with our micro-transactions so long as I am Lead Developer."
You obviously missed the announcement elsewhere about the Trade Dilithium that is currently in development testing as we speak, based on reading this. The name might change, but people are supposed to be able to trade them for C-Store points, thus making everything in the C-Store available for an in-game commodity, not just for cash. What the "exchange rate" will be and how this exchange is done is being hammered out right now, and I would not be surprised if it went online at least at the same time as F2P.