View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 42 Imo
09-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borticus View Post
It may not come across in the episode (it's HARD to get all of my thoughts into a live session!), but I'm very much an opponent of Pay-to-Win gaming.

But I'm curious... from a Math standpoint, has anyone actually run PvP tests between various T2 ships to see if the Rhode Island truly FEELS like an imbalance at that level? And I'm not trying to defend it, I just want to honestly know.

I fully admit and recognize what the numbers indicate it's more powerful than another ship due primarily to the extra boff slot. But how much difference does that REALLY make, I wonder?

And let's extend that examination up to T5. If you had one more power at your disposal - one more boff slot - on your favorite VA ship, what would that actually do for you in a PvP scenario that couldn't be countered or would set you undeniably apart from the opponents? It would have to come down to power synergy and available counters to the enemies' tactics, wouldn't it?

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm defending the fact that x.5 ships (or +1 ships) are GOING to be perceived as Pay-to-Win, and perception is reality when it comes to PR for a game company. But I'm truly curious as to how the actual numbers play out. The math.

Maybe I should start a new thread on the subject though, instead of bogging down this one.
I flew the Rhode Island variant and found it to be a perfect ship for the healer build. I was able to tank aginst three ships at once and still be able to fire off HE II and SCI I heals on my team mates. I really enjoyed it, but at times it did feel at an advantage with Sub-system targeting and Sensor Analysis to boot.

In terms of STOked commentary, I think that all I see is two guys that love Star Trek, and love playing STO. Of course it's worth defending, and not alienate potential visitors, looking to discover if the game is worth playing is sound.

But, sometimes I think that the best episodes are the ones that respond to the communities needs and frustrations. That requires asking the difficult questions at times, and not being a sounding board for Cryptics choices.