View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 1 Pimp my Intrepid
09-14-2011, 08:16 AM
EDIT: Updated the build based on suggestions.

I'm rebuilding my Sci captain's Intrepid to play with some new powers and (I hope) to make it a stronger debuff and team heal ship for Borg RAs and STFs. I have the BOFF and gear layout more or less settled, I think, and I'm trying to decide what skills to pimp with the deflector and console stack. (Comments on changing the BOFF layout or powers to better suit the Borg are welcome though also.)

The build at the moment is:

BOFFS

CDR Sci: GW III / SS II / PO I / TB I
LTC Sci: HE III / TSS II / ST I
ENS Sci: PH I
LT Eng: A2SIF I / EPtS I
LT Tac: APD I / TT I

WEAPONS

(Same front and rear)

1x Hargh'Peng Torpedo Launcher Mk XI
1x Tricobalt Torpedo Launcher Mk XII (white)
1x Disruptor Beam Array Mk XII (white)

GEAR

(I plan to use the Borg set when I get it, but I don't have it right now since I am STF noob.)

Deflector: ???
Engine: Aegis
Shield: Aegis

CONSOLES

Engineering:

1x Field Generator (35% shield cap)
1x Neutronium Alloy Mk XII (white)

Science:

???

Tac:

1x Automated Defense Battery
1x Borg Assimilated Module

The main powers I am focusing on tweaking are Sensor Scan, Gravity Well, Science Fleet, and Starship Dampening Field. I would also like to have Gravity Well be as useful as I can make it, although I have never used it before, and of course the tooltip gives no useful stats about what the hell it does. So the main choices I seem to have now are with the deflector and consoles. Deflectors I have available are:

Tachyon Deflector Array Mk XI [Sen]x2 (+50 Sensors / +24 Sensor Array)
Deflector Array Mk XI [Sen]x2 (+44 Sensors / +24 Deflectors / +24 Emitters)
Deflector Array Mk XI [Def] [Sen] (+34 Sensors / +34 Deflectors / +24 Emitters)
Aegis (+18 Sensors / +33 Deflectors / +33 Emitters)

I also have full sets of 4x Mk XI (blue) science consoles for boosting Deflector Field (Dampening Field, Science Fleet, shield heals); Sensor Array (Sensor Scan); and Spatial Anomaly (Gravity Well).

My power settings will be 100 Aux, 50 Shields, minimum engines and weapons. I'm basically planning to rely on the beams just for the occasional lucky target subsystem hit, and to make all my DPS contributions with well timed torpedo hits, whatever Gravity Well can put out, and a little help from the Photonic Fleet. I have skilled up engine and shield efficiency/performance and aux performance. With 2x EPtS running all the time, I am at 90-98 shields and 124 aux; 48 engines and 34 weapons. I also raised all the relevant science skills except Deflector Dish and Photonic Theory. (On the ground, I raised just those skills needed to fully pimp Science Kit - Medic + Tricorder Scan.)

I guess my main question at this point is whether to favor more damage resist debuff with Sensor Scan or try to get more power out of GW III. I can max GW III with the Aegis deflector and 4x spatial anomaly consoles, but I have no idea how much difference that makes with the tooltip being broken at the moment. I can also pimp Sensor Scan to around -100 with the standard Mk XI deflector, or max it out at -120 with the Tachyon deflector and 4x Sensor Array consoles. What I don't know is whether a higher debuff or a more poweful gravity well is ultimately more useful.