View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Actually, science isn't based on fact; it's based on repetition. Can I repeat your experiment and get the same results? It is scientific "fact" that water boils at 100 degrees C because no matter how many times you do the experiment, you get the same result (assuming all variables are equal).

Theoretical science is just that, theoretical. Until there is a repeatable experiment to "prove" the theory, theoretical science will remain a theory. The Big Bang Theory and the Theory of Evolution remain theories because science has been unable to create a repeatable experiment to show those theories are true.

To be honest, I don't think it'll fundamentally change popular science. I don't really care if neutrino's reach me a fraction of a millisecond faster than photons do. Neutrinos are getting into heavy science. Einstein's theories stood for 100 years because almost all experiments that took place backed up his assertions. Now we have an experiment that says he may be wrong. That is the nature of science.
Gravity is also a theory.