View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRook View Post
Ok I think I know what you mean by this, but could you for an old Treker get specific for me please?
It's the comic book fallacy. It's hard to get new fans to buy in on a story when there's a great deal of built up canon behind it. The larger and longer it gets, the harder it is to get new fans on board. It also makes it hard to regain old fans, who are then stuck playing catch up with anything they missed.

Star Trek has decades of built up storyline, and not all of it is easily accessible. Not as big as some fiction (it's called the comic book fallacy for a reason - even relatively recent comic heroes have hundreds or even thousands of issues, many of which are rare, out of print, not to mention crossovers and special events with other series so even trying to get caught up only creates more confusion as the storyline hops in and out of the linear series).

Of course, these things regularly takes the time to explain themselves when it matters, and it rarely does - even with the most long running comic series you can jump in mid-stream and know pretty much what's going on by the end of the issue and a couple quick trips to wikipedia.

But most people don't *like* doing things like that, and worse, they do like talking about their interests, and thanks to the internet trying to talk about these things as a newbie usually find themselves surrounded by people with encyclopedic knowledge of all the twists and turns and retcons of the series (half of whom don't have the wiki open in a second browser window to cheat off of), and pretty much unable to process it all without being told to "get caught up."

So, they hit the reset button and try to lure in a fresh batch of fans. DC's done this so often fans lost count around the time Superboy punched the universe(s), usually following it up by drip-feeding the new universe all the backstory that happened in the old one in condensed form.