View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
I switched from an Exploration Refit to the Dreadnought in an attempt to wring more damage out of my tank. I like the ship because it keeps the CM and LC Eng BOffs while adding offensive capability. Lance and cloak are good toys, but in the end they are just that... toys. Only useful in certain situations. They can make all the difference in the world when properly used, but they're not going to win or lose a running engagement against multiple targets.

What the ship really gains is swapping the Ens Eng BOff for an Ens Tac BOff... enabling me to run Tac Team, FAW and Spread. The cannons up front are a nice addition to forward damage when I can get the front end swung around on a target... which isn't all that hard. Tractor beam, warp plasma, Aux to ID, and EPS transfer all help me maneuver against a smaller faster target.

The ship can be a killer under the right circumstances, but more often than not I use it to distract the enemy while my fellow captains do the killing. In a given battle scenario if I've got 2, 3, 4, enemies focused on me that means they're not shooting my allies, who may be in softer ships.

Though lately other players seem as likely to engage me as they do to ignore me. Of course ignorance comes at their peril... a well timed lance shot can really ruin someone's day.