View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 41
10-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
I wish there were epic space battles... in STO. No, you don't find them in MMOs
Arguably there are epic space battles in EVE when two corps decide to throw down. UNfortunately, most players are very small fish in very large oceans. And titans and dreadnoughts are extremely large fish indeed. That 'waves of effects' video notwithstanding, EVE tends to eat characters alive.

Sigh. STO has a good space combat system, it's got lots of potential, and nothing's really like it out there. There's just not a lot of other options out there. Theres a Homeworld-esque about to hit Beta, there's Vengeance Online which is sort of like Elite Online, Egosoft has been making noises about an X MMO but there's been nothing for it, SWTOR is going to have a bloody rail-shooter for space combat, bleh.... None of them are quite like conning your own starship. And of course none of them are Trek. STO isn't a Starfleet Command, nor should it be, but it's tied into this awful horrible mess of PR gaffes, a massive rush to monetize everything and tie everything to real money, a content drought that's been acknowledged but nobody with a gold name seems to want to do anything about....

"I'll believe it when I see it" carries with it the implicit expectation that one may be pleasantly surprised, and not to be all doom and gloom based on what hasn't happened yet, but... Dammit, Cryptic!