View Single Post
Lt. Commander
I'm what you would call an original gamer. I started out on pong, and have been hooked ever since.

When I was a kid, I would mow lawns, pick up bottles and cans for the 5 cent return, wash cars, rake yards or do what ever I had to gain a pocket full of quarters and then ride my bike down to the mall, and plunk quarters into games till my pocket was empty after a fun filled Saturday afternoon. A bit later they swapped to tokens, and at times I would splurge on 5 bucks worth of tokens as you got an extra 8, and then I was good to go for 4-6 hours. Let me tell ya, in 1985 5 bucks was worth a heck of a lot more than it was today yet i was happy to spend it frivously at the arcade (Funny thatís the average DLC cost)

I only got to play the game for that short time, and when my time was up, or better yet, all my lives lost, I was sent home to scrounge for money till the next weekend rolled around and i could enjoy everything from from Asteroids to Zaxxon and everything in between yet again.

Later i picked up cartridges for home consoles. Games like asteroids, and q-bert, and pitfall, lady bug, and later EA sport games and racing games on the newer systems, many were very basic, yet I didnít mind spending my hard earned cash cause playing games was so much fun.

But now, I see all the time, people outraged for having to shell out 5 bucks on some DLC, or how dare they charge 3 bucks for a costume, or 10 bucks for 10 hours of content, Ohh the outrage!! Why should I have to pay to play?

Personally I love gaming, and find the cost to be virtual peanuts in the grand scheme of things. I just hope in the FTP future of this game people do spend a few bucks of that hard earned cash, so that more cool things will come.

But my real question is why all the hate about having to shell out a few bucks for some entertainment? A single ticket to a movie costs 8-15 bucks depending where you are. And I never found a game I could finish for that price, that fast. Yet some how spending 5 bucks on something you finish in 5 hours is a complete waste of money. Even a 3-dollar magazine that takes an hour to read is considered a great deal.

I just donít get it. Can anyone enlighten?