View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-13-2011, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
a TANGENT: This line (red) is not intirely correct. Before the invention of teh Cotton Gin Slavery was on the verge of being dropped as a production resource in the South as it was still not cost effective or efficent to have slave labor to process raw cotton from the field to the consumer.
If the Cotton Gin had never been created many historians believe slavery in the USA would have disapeered.

/ end tangent.
I don't think he meant good in a economic sense, but good in a cultural and social sense.

"But let me not be understood as admitting, even by implication, that the existing relations between the two races in the slaveholding States is an evil:—far otherwise; I hold it to be a good, as it has thus far proved itself to be to both, and will continue to prove so if not disturbed by the fell spirit of abolition. I appeal to facts. Never before has the black race of Central Africa, from the dawn of history to the present day, attained a condition so civilized and so improved, not only physically, but morally and intellectually."

-John C. Calhoun