View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
I don't think he meant good in a economic sense, but good in a cultural and social sense.

"But let me not be understood as admitting, even by implication, that the existing relations between the two races in the slaveholding States is an evil:—far otherwise; I hold it to be a good, as it has thus far proved itself to be to both, and will continue to prove so if not disturbed by the fell spirit of abolition. I appeal to facts. Never before has the black race of Central Africa, from the dawn of history to the present day, attained a condition so civilized and so improved, not only physically, but morally and intellectually."

-John C. Calhoun
Oh , do not get me wrong this little piece of wierd history (the invention of the cotten gin) I only offer as a piece of trivia and nothing more.
I personally do not find any favor with slavery as it is a self-defeating concept and in truth no man should ever own another ( though most of us be Wage-slave in society).
How different history may have been if ol'Eli had been slow in his invention process.

As to Calhoun's quote, I have read other literature on a similiar line of thought. One book in fact written by G.W. Carver.
Still best be an alert owner who wish put a collar on me. I fully beleave tis better to die on one's feet than live in forced servitude to another.