View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 35
11-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
I don't think he meant good in a economic sense, but good in a cultural and social sense.

"But let me not be understood as admitting, even by implication, that the existing relations between the two races in the slaveholding States is an evil:—far otherwise; I hold it to be a good, as it has thus far proved itself to be to both, and will continue to prove so if not disturbed by the fell spirit of abolition. I appeal to facts. Never before has the black race of Central Africa, from the dawn of history to the present day, attained a condition so civilized and so improved, not only physically, but morally and intellectually."

-John C. Calhoun
There were many in the South who also beleived slavery was bad as well, especially on the religous front. Many of the poorer farmers never had slaves, in fact a minority of the South were slave owners. It was the plantation owners who had the government order the Postal Service to eliminate any Abolitionist materials going to the South. Calhoun , "the Mouth of the South" was one of this sort. The historical fact of the "golden rule" prevailed in the South in regards to the slavery issue; "Those with the gold, rule."