View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 39
11-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-A-T-H-F-I-N-D-E-R
I'm going to quote a historical conversation where such has previously been pointed out ....

Cmdr. Chekov: We all agree that every culture is entitled to inalienable human rights...

Azetbur: "In-alien." If you could only hear yourselves...human rights. The very name is racist. The Federation is nothing more than a "Homo sapiens only" club.
One uses the words one know. It was probably not meant in a racist way. The good commander Walter Koenig probably just wanted to put forward an ideal everyone could agree upon. Sadly the wording was native to Earth.

I am surprised though it hasn't been changed to "sentient rights." Then again, in TNG I think it has. Doesn't Picard say something along the lines of "the right of any sentient being"? And aren't Data found to be a Sentient being and not a Machine, and as such protected by sentient rights?

I believe Chekov was either using human wording because of Romulan ale, or because he didn't think about his wording. After all, he's not a diplomat. He's tactical. I'm just guessing here, but I bet the Feddies had changed it to "sentient rights" even back then. Even Jonathan Archer said something about Sentient rights at one time. This is of course hypothetical.