View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Schulz189, don't worry about your English...or your Klingon.
It takes time to get used to wrinting long stuff in the forums.
Took me a while to get the hang of it especially since English is not my first language either.
So my pleasure if I could help a bit with my excessive ranting.

You use capital lettere where the English language uses none, very much like I do sometime so my guess is we're not that distant as far as our native language is concerned.

Well if we use the Klingon Battlecruiser as an counterpart to the old Battleships
and the Klingon Vo'quv as a counterpart to the Supercarriers of the real world
then the analogy is not quite right.
The reason is that while the carriers of the real world were about twice as heavy as a battleship
(Iowa class 58,000 tons vs supercarrier roughly 100,000 tons)
the Klingon carriers are actually much bigger than that.

http://suricatasblog.files.wordpress...gonships18.png

given that the Vo'quv is a little less than twice as long as a Negh'var and twice as wide and twice to thrice as high, the result would be a ship about 8 times as heavy.
Just some numbers for comparison:
4,500,000 tons Galaxy
4,310,000 tons Negh'var
4,320,000 tons Warbird (yes it's 1041 mters long bit it's as hollow as the souls of its crew)
So the Vo'quv would be somewhere round 34,000,000.

It wold be like comparing a carrier to a regular cruiser, and in that case there is precedence of those being as heavily armored as cruisers.

In addition, the central section does not seem to actually house any kind of small craft, only the modules under the wings do.
There might be a "tunnel" or "corridor" that goes through the central section to connect one hangar to the other but otherwise it's not the same as a real-wold carrier.
Those are arranged quite differently:

http://media.defenseindustrydaily.co...Cutaway_lg.jpg

And there is something else you might want to keep in mind:

The fundamental changes in weapons technology after World War 2 (the shift from guns to missiles) resulted in the removal of armor as I mentioned.
It applied to everything from destroyers to cruisers to supercarriers.
Older ships were not stripped of their armor because that would have cost more than it was worth.
However in the Star Trek universe such a fundamental change never took place.
Technology and tactics had remained very much the same for...well ever.

So in case of the Klingon carriers, it probably means those things have almost the same amor as a battlecruiser but also have more power for structural reinforcement fields to keep the hull in one piece.

And a hit on a comparatively small ship would mean you'd blow a large chunk of its hull off.
On a carrier a hit of the same size would mean you blow a hole into a comparatively small area.
Such a hit is also less likely to damage too many key systems on such a big ship at once because they'd be spread all over the ship and there'd be more backups than on a small ship.
This increased ability to cope with damage must be represented in some fashion in an MMO.
Since we don't have any serious damage model (would love to see that, would allow the ships to be much more different) in this game there's only one thing they can use and those are of course the hitpoints.

And there's another reason why a hit on a Vo'quv could not have the same devastating effect a Russian Torpedo would have on a USN Super Carrier:
In space noone can sink you.