View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 65
11-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Add me to the list of people who really enjoyed playing a bit of SWTOR. I'll be hopping in as soon as I can -- hopefully on the 15th. That's not to say I don't like STO anymore. I have a lifetime sub here and I'm certainly planning on playing both.

What really draws me in is the story. I love good storyline -- it's what catches my interest, makes me want to play more, and just generally lends enjoyment to what would otherwise be, inevitably IMO, a series of repetitive tasks. All of these games will be that, at the core. That's the nature of a computer game. Computers run static programs. Those programs may be huge and complex, but they're still static algorithms, no matter what.

Anyway, I won't deny that SWTOR has it's weaknesses. Namely the customization (not enough, compared to a Cryptic game) and the space combat. But what I like about the story is far greater than any worries I have over the space game. Maybe they'll redo it with a more robust system later, maybe they won't. Either way, I'm having fun and that's all that matters to me. I always have STO here for some real space combat when I want it.

Right now, STO is just not doing it for me. They've shown that they CAN do good story with missions like 'City at the Edge of Never' and the FE series, IMO. But when all's said and done, the bottom line is that they -haven't- done any of those good story missions for almost a full year now. Yes, I know there were all sorts of extenuating circumstances, but when it comes right down to it -- where do I want to spend my time, the place with lots of fun plot to dive into, or the one with a handful of stories I've already played over and over -- it's not that hard a choice really.

I am not really sure what to expect for the future in STO, at this point. Right now, just in terms of business sense, I'm not a huge fan of the EA megacorp, but I have a bit more faith in the EA/BioWare team than I do in PWE/Cryptic. That's not to say that I don't still have hopes for STO. I very much do hope that it bounces back with a ton of new, high-quality content -- a regular sequence of FEs, new end-game content, all that. If and when that happens, I'll most certainly be back to enjoy it. But until then, I'll be hanging out in the Old Republic.