View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
Yeah, I was actually looking at State laws regulating lotteries (which are illegal in California except as run by the State) and I am not sure how this does not constitute a lottery, but then again, I am not a lawyer.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...0&file=319-329

I noticed that they actually had a clause which specifically defined grab bags of trading cards as an illegal lottery which piqued my interest.

My concern is not really that they are doing this, after all, trading card companies have had similar schemes for over a century with baseball cards. My concern is that at least with trading cards there are industry guides that will give you the approximate rarity and value of such cards whereas with this virtual lottery (maybe they skirt the law because they do not believe the courts would consider online game items as property) you have bupkis in terms of knowing the odds of winning.

Oh, and I do not think baseball cards are as popular as they used to be. But I am sure kids still collect trading cards of some sort (I used to have Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle cards).
Let s see what happens, I ll send a formal letter to cryptic HQ asking to disclose the odds. I ll keep you posted in here if I get anthif back.